Old teachers in Oz

Old Sep 3rd 2006, 10:20 am
Just Joined

McNeil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Old teachers in Oz

Honest answers now. How likely am I to get a teaching post in SA at the age of 41? Back here in UK schools don't like to emply us old expensive types, irrespective of experience, they prefer the new, cheap, barely educated graduates (even if their main degree is in outer Mongolian nose piercing, so long as they ave stuck a PGCE on the end!!!)
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old teachers in Oz

Originally Posted by McNeil
Honest answers now. How likely am I to get a teaching post in SA at the age of 41? Back here in UK schools don't like to emply us old expensive types, irrespective of experience, they prefer the new, cheap, barely educated graduates (even if their main degree is in outer Mongolian nose piercing, so long as they ave stuck a PGCE on the end!!!)
To be honest - I don't think your experience counts as such.

Maybe in the UK if you have 5 + years - but out here 1 year or 12 years doesn't seem to make any difference - the increments are not at all like the UK - well that is what I found out here in ACT
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

At my daughters school the average age for teachers is around 40 to 50 at a guess. Of course that's just one school here in South Australia
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

:scared: im older than you? think if your secondary you have a better chance than primary..doubly scared now...im primary... :scared: :scared:
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lollyno1
:scared: im older than you? think if your secondary you have a better chance than primary..doubly scared now...im primary... :scared: :scared:

I meant primary, although my son's school also has older teachers.

I read on the news somewhere today that the Government is saying the teaching standards are dropping due to the amount of "fresh from Uni" teachers they have. Good news for you guys
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
I meant primary, although my son's school also has older teachers.

I read on the news somewhere today that the Government is saying the teaching standards are dropping due to the amount of "fresh from Uni" teachers they have. Good news for you guys

Thanks Wendy..

this is just the pick me up i need to day, I owe you a few drinks..

regards lolly
Old Sep 4th 2006, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Honest answer you've got a MASSIVE chip on your shoulder as you keep getting overlooked for jobs, with employers preferring younger graduates who have more up to date skills.
You'll find that full time permanent posts are very hard to come by in SA no matter the age or experience of the teacher.....
Old Sep 5th 2006, 11:11 am
Just Joined

McNeil is an unknown quantity at this point

Funny, thought this forum was for help, not insults. I have no chip thank you, I am a highly valued, qualified and UP TO DATE primary teacher thanks. I guess you must know ALL about the primary education system and getting a job in SA as primary teacher, judging by your reply?
Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Honest answer you've got a MASSIVE chip on your shoulder as you keep getting overlooked for jobs, with employers preferring younger graduates who have more up to date skills.
You'll find that full time permanent posts are very hard to come by in SA no matter the age or experience of the teacher.....
Old Sep 5th 2006, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, thought this forum was for help, not insults. I have no chip thank you, I am a highly valued, qualified and UP TO DATE primary teacher thanks. I guess you must know ALL about the primary education system and getting a job in SA as primary teacher, judging by your reply?

Yes I have a good idea about the likelyhood of getting a primary teaching post in SA, as I said very hard to come by. If you have a liking for living in the middle of no where then you'll improve your chances. Looked long and hard at SA for our destination, but decided against it, also would be applying as Primary Teacher and have looked at ins and outs of that!

Sorry but when you start out making yourself somehow superior to newly qualified teachers don't expect not to have to take some back! Your age and experience will count against you in Australia too, as well as not holding an Australian qualification in some cases. Oh and if you're so valued in your current position why are you wanting to leave
Old Sep 6th 2006, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Yes I have a good idea about the likelyhood of getting a primary teaching post in SA, as I said very hard to come by. If you have a liking for living in the middle of no where then you'll improve your chances. Looked long and hard at SA for our destination, but decided against it, also would be applying as Primary Teacher and have looked at ins and outs of that!

Sorry but when you start out making yourself somehow superior to newly qualified teachers don't expect not to have to take some back! Your age and experience will count against you in Australia too, as well as not holding an Australian qualification in some cases. Oh and if you're so valued in your current position why are you wanting to leave

children, children,children, now stop sqaubbling and make friends. Getting a teaching job whether it be OZ or UK is difficult nowadays, young and inexperienced OR mature and experienced.

The independent sector is another avenue to explore, however the jobs Ive seen advertised are mainly for church schools and they want practising Christians. You can apply to the schools direct and ask to be listed as a temp relief teacher.

As far as having your qualifications veriified it seems it much of a muchness in what ever state you decide to go to..apart from one state i heard about where i did hear they like you to do an 'orientation course' and i dont mean reading maps !