Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

NQT Teacher (ICT) Where do I start?

NQT Teacher (ICT) Where do I start?

Old Jun 27th 2009, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Little-Miss-G is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NQT Teacher (ICT) Where do I start?

Hello

Firstly I will introduce myself... My name is Gemma and I am a single parent to a 14 year old son. I have been wanting to move down under for some time. I have JUST completed my three year computing degree and PGCE (ICT) and I have signed a contract to start my NQT year starting in September BUT...

Everythings changed from when I first started researching our new life a few years back... For example the NOOSR is now called TeachAustralia and ALL the visa's have changed names/numbers

I have always looked at two places to put down my roots: Melbourne and Adelaide

I am just starting to do all my research AGAIN (due to the changes) and wondered if anyone would be kind enough to push me in the right direction regarding visa's, assessments and timelines

Thanks

Forgot to add I only get 100 points on the points test
English: 15 Points
Teacher (SOL): 60 Points

So I'm short for the 120 Points needed for the 175 but I think I qualify for the 176 (SS) if I can get them to sponsor me I will have 110 points but only need 100... Or am I getting this all wrong?

Last edited by Little-Miss-G; Jun 27th 2009 at 4:06 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 11:58 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NQT Teacher (ICT) Where do I start?

Hi Gemma,

Have you done a 3 year degree course followed by a 1 year PGCE course, or was the degree/teacher training just 3 years?

Yes you would need to look at the 176 and find a state to sponsor you which might be tricky at the moment. Or a 457 but I'm not sure you'll get sponsorship in Vic/SA.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 12:07 am
Just Joined

Little-Miss-G is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Yes I completed a three year degree followed by a one year PGCE. I took that route because from my research before I knew I couldn't apply with the GTP option

I know it does seem that way at the minute with state sponsorship unlike this time last year

Thanks
Old Jun 28th 2009, 2:28 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

I also think you'll need to gain some experience first....surely that will get you more points as you will have work experience in your skill? You also have the option, of gaining back 10 points by doing the IELTS test, which will get you 25 points for english competency, as opposed to the 15 you get for being a UK passport holder.