Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

From New Zealand to Sharjah.......

From New Zealand to Sharjah.......

Old May 28th 2007, 4:54 am
Just Joined

Deborah Nolan is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face From New Zealand to Sharjah.......

Heya,
I have just secured a teaching position at an international British school. Um......never seen a British curriculum document in my life..............

Is it similar to the New Zealand curriculum................however......our curriculum is on the move again.......changing and revamping "old style" teaching.....
but that doesnt help me out one bit..............hmmmmmmm.......
Old May 28th 2007, 6:57 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From New Zealand to Sharjah.......

Originally Posted by Deborah Nolan
Heya,
I have just secured a teaching position at an international British school. Um......never seen a British curriculum document in my life..............

Is it similar to the New Zealand curriculum................however......our curriculum is on the move again.......changing and revamping "old style" teaching.....
but that doesnt help me out one bit..............hmmmmmmm.......
I do hope you've done your homework on the school. Is it part of gems for example? Do they sort your visas etc. out? It strikes me that if you've never visited UAE, or been interviewed here, then you're making a huge gamble.

I hope things work out for you.
Old May 28th 2007, 8:01 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Do they follow the NC (National Curriculum), or are they an IB school? You can find most curriculum info online. I'd also research the school webpage to find out, as well as asking them for more guidance. National Curriculum is great because there's a lot of information available online, as well as other sites devoted to teachers following the NC (like Teachit UK if you are an English lang/lit teacher). I'm Australian trained and teaching in Oz but always find myself digging out the English curriculum websites because they often provide the most thorough information and best resources. Good luck!
Old May 28th 2007, 8:05 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

I meant to add, I don't know a lot about the NZ curriculum but if it anything like the Aussie one, you will find the National Curriculum VERY structured and prescriptive. When I worked primary supply in England it was a lot simpler than doing it in Oz - there was a set Literacy Hour, a Numeracy Hour and activities that students of each level/age/ability were to work on. There were big folders explaining it and I have since found the same info on the net. In Oz there's a lot less guidance. In English, for example, we have to teach a range of texts, but there's no set texts, or even set assessments (in some states). It is very much up to individual teachers. It is vastly different in England - texts are set and it's to do with examinations and more structured than here. It does mean that there are a lot of resources (and very good ones) available on the topics/novels etc in England, as lots more people working on the same ones.

Not saying which one I prefer btw, just that they are very different. Not sure how NZ do it?