My PGCE in the USA

Old Nov 26th 2007, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

w_errock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My PGCE in the USA

Hi I was wondering if anybody could help.

I am about to marry an american citizen very soon and I have a PGCE in Physical Education. Does anybody know wether my qualifications will be valid in the states once I am married? I am having trouble finding out and would appreciate the help from anybody

Thanks
Old Nov 28th 2007, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: My PGCE in the USA

I think it depends on where you will end up. I am in Texas, and am qualified in both the UK and Australia. I had to get my degree (both Bsc and Pgce) assessed, and then applied for a permit. I am recognised under an 'emergency' provision, which means I have a year to sit the exit exams texan teachers would take.

also it has been a royal pain in the behind to get the different districts to recognise the fact that I am 'legally' allowed to teach for a year. It was touch and go if the school was going to employ me. They all seem to bury their heads in the sand adopting the .... 'what do you mean you haven't got your qualifications from america'.

But in a nutshell, I think you'll be ok, but almost definately will have to take exams either before you will be allowed to teach or during on an emergency permit.

good Luck

Amanda
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:48 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My PGCE in the USA

Originally Posted by w_errock
Hi I was wondering if anybody could help.

I am about to marry an american citizen very soon and I have a PGCE in Physical Education. Does anybody know wether my qualifications will be valid in the states once I am married? I am having trouble finding out and would appreciate the help from anybody

Thanks
You might want to get certified in another area also if you have to go back to school for some classes. Usually, you have to also teach health if you're a PE teacher here. This would make you more appealing to potential school districts when choosing between applicants; PE jobs are hard to come by....it's one of the first positions cut when schools have to make fiscal choices. Often times a school district will have schools share a PE teacher which means huge classes and running between 2 schools. This happens in even the best districts.