Miss Apps again!!!

Old May 18th 2007, 3:50 pm
missapps

missapps will become famous soon enough
Default Miss Apps again!!!

Please don't hate me all those wonderful people who have been absolute stars. I probably don't deserve any more help after 6 months of one idea now changed- BUT cant be helped im afraid!!!
Hello to WS99 and Aus_bound xxx

Ok, after 6 months of asking every question and bit of advice possible to fellow teachers on this site following my dream to teach in Australia_Perth(before i even became a teacher!) I have now decided that i definitely do not want to live there permanently on a 136 visa and would ideally like to teach for a year on WHV.
Now have been told that most people have no luck with WHV and teaching positions, so after careful consideration, have realised that i may just have to do bar work? Not a really a student back packer- picking strawberries kinda gal, so anybody know of the sort of work you can pick up for a year (well 6 months at a time) on a WHV for relatively good money? THis seems a relatively futile question, but believe me it is for reason after spending months preparing 136 requirements and skills assessments to find out health has had to change future plans abroad permanently!!:curse:
Its ok i believe in fate... and i'm obviously not meant to meet a gorgeous surfer, marry on beach with fantastic tan and have ozzie kids!!! Oh well, time to rethink plan for life!!!
Im really sorry if this is on the incorrect forum, ive put it everywhere- want as much advice as poss- like usual!!!
Laura xxxxx
Old May 19th 2007, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Miss Apps again!!!

Originally Posted by missapps
Please don't hate me all those wonderful people who have been absolute stars. I probably don't deserve any more help after 6 months of one idea now changed- BUT cant be helped im afraid!!!
Hello to WS99 and Aus_bound xxx

Ok, after 6 months of asking every question and bit of advice possible to fellow teachers on this site following my dream to teach in Australia_Perth(before i even became a teacher!) I have now decided that i definitely do not want to live there permanently on a 136 visa and would ideally like to teach for a year on WHV.
Now have been told that most people have no luck with WHV and teaching positions, so after careful consideration, have realised that i may just have to do bar work? Not a really a student back packer- picking strawberries kinda gal, so anybody know of the sort of work you can pick up for a year (well 6 months at a time) on a WHV for relatively good money? THis seems a relatively futile question, but believe me it is for reason after spending months preparing 136 requirements and skills assessments to find out health has had to change future plans abroad permanently!!:curse:
Its ok i believe in fate... and i'm obviously not meant to meet a gorgeous surfer, marry on beach with fantastic tan and have ozzie kids!!! Oh well, time to rethink plan for life!!!
Im really sorry if this is on the incorrect forum, ive put it everywhere- want as much advice as poss- like usual!!!
Laura xxxxx
Have you not looked into 457 visa? Could Teach on that one!

My sister worked as a PA (earned a good wage) had no previous experience, she also got a job checking dispatches in a warehouse (sounds very dull but she loved it and got a lovely gift when she left). She also did a few other things like shop work etc didn't stay long in them as didn't enjoy them, but was plenty of work available to her.

Good luck in whatever may come Laura, will miss your posts
Old May 20th 2007, 3:54 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

If you're qualified, should you not be able to teach supply? still means you have to register though, so might limit you to one state for teaching as you don't want to be forking out for registration in every state. The other option is to get a blue card (pretty much the same as a police check, I believe) so you are eligible to work with children, and try for teaching assistant jobs. The pay and hours are probably better than fruit picking or hospitality and you are still gaining valuable 'sort of' teaching experience. From a TA job and interacting with teachers etc in schools you might even get some leads on options for other work, maybe even teaching? You could also try out of school hours care positions and working in Childcare centres.
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:17 pm
missapps

I wont go away that easily!!!

Have been on other forums-(TES mainly!) and they say you can teach in private schools which is not ideal if doing supply obviously and will probably be slim pickings which again is not ideal. Does anybody know of anyone who is out there at the mo on WHV and successful in supply teaching?

Paul- Australia_bound sorry have tried to look up 457 but as normal the big words are bloody confusing!!! can you help-??

Laura Again- should be my new username!!!

xxxx
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:25 pm
missapps

Oh and thank you Matildasyke-
I hope it means i can still supply anway!!!
Not really wanting to be a TA- im a proud teacher and would really struggle working under somebody else!!! At least i admit it!
But working in child care centres etc would be fine-so thanks for good idea!!!
just pinning hopes on being able to still teach on WHV even if it is just supply!
Will be fine with doing everything else-police checks etc as i was planning originally to go for 136 skills visa. Have emailed WACOT and friends with them now so all good.
Just need to know if anyone is out there teaching with WHV!!!
laura Xxx
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Have been on other forums-(TES mainly!) and they say you can teach in private schools which is not ideal if doing supply obviously and will probably be slim pickings which again is not ideal. Does anybody know of anyone who is out there at the mo on WHV and successful in supply teaching?

Paul- Australia_bound sorry have tried to look up 457 but as normal the big words are bloody confusing!!! can you help-??

xxxx

Hi Laura

Sorry don't know much bout 457 visa, was just an idea I thought I'd bring to the fore!
Can't help with anyone I've heard of who's taught on a WHV?

Good luck with it all anyway xx
Old May 24th 2007, 10:31 am
Wanderer

saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

I'm sure I've come across ppl here and on TES who've taught in Australia on a WHV. The only thing I can think of besides posting here is for you to get in touch with Smart Teachers. They are a teaching agency who place teachers in Oz and the UK and seem to have bases in both places. They were originally doing Queensland, but I think they've extended that to include NT and WA now. They place in independent schools etc. You might be able to get in touch with them over there?
Old May 25th 2007, 5:20 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

xxxx
NSW DET have a specific scheme for teachers on WHVs. I don't know much about it really, but they seem pretty clued up on helping WHV holders into casual teaching positions. Have a look here:

https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/employmen...w/overseas.htm

I hope this helps...

S
S
Old May 26th 2007, 10:14 am
missapps

Hello again, Thanks SWERVO,
Have contacted them and they say you can definitely teach on WHV so im getting somewhere!
Have got in contact with SMART teachers Matilda and just awaiting the reply so thanks!!
I'm all set just need to apply for WHV and apply to WACOT and agencies.
Its all good thank god- only taken 6 months to get myself organised, now i'll get there, love it and want to emigrate!!!
Will serve me right for being so careful!!
Tahnks everyone for all your help...
Lau xx
Old May 26th 2007, 12:29 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and thank you Matildasyke-
I hope it means i can still supply anway!!!
Not really wanting to be a TA- im a proud teacher and would really struggle working under somebody else!!! At least i admit it!
But working in child care centres etc would be fine-so thanks for good idea!!!
just pinning hopes on being able to still teach on WHV even if it is just supply!
Will be fine with doing everything else-police checks etc as i was planning originally to go for 136 skills visa. Have emailed WACOT and friends with them now so all good.
Just need to know if anyone is out there teaching with WHV!!!
laura Xxx

Just a warning. I did the child care centre thing on supply because there was no teaching supply work. It was the minimum wage and I could only be employed as the assistant. So I was mopping the floors, cleaning the toilets, changing the nappies and disinfecting the toys. It would be better to do the Teaching Assistant in my opinion.
Old May 26th 2007, 4:28 pm
missapps

Originally Posted by alicecat
Just a warning. I did the child care centre thing on supply because there was no teaching supply work. It was the minimum wage and I could only be employed as the assistant. So I was mopping the floors, cleaning the toilets, changing the nappies and disinfecting the toys. It would be better to do the Teaching Assistant in my opinion.
thanks alicecat- ooh dear you ahve scared me now? so are you doing what im planning to do? go out on WHV to teach supply and then there was none available? please tell me more youve got me worried now!!!
my friend is going to new zealand and its £45 for WHvisa and she can get a job immediately apparently- why is it so difficult in oz if we are qualified?
i really dont mind doing supply as long as its local and pays the bills, now you have me worried!!
Laura xx
Old May 26th 2007, 10:51 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

thanks alicecat- ooh dear you ahve scared me now? so are you doing what im planning to do? go out on WHV to teach supply and then there was none available? please tell me more youve got me worried now!!!
my friend is going to new zealand and its £45 for WHvisa and she can get a job immediately apparently- why is it so difficult in oz if we are qualified?
i really dont mind doing supply as long as its local and pays the bills, now you have me worried!!
Laura xx
I am an Australian citizen who trained in Queensland. There is just a massive shortage of jobs here. I was planning to live here so I needed something more than supply. I was hoping to build my career here, buy a house etc etc.

There is supply work but you need to go to the crappy schools to get it. Once they know you are willing they will call just about everyday! It took me about two years to find the schools that always want teachers in my area. Even though there is an agency of sorts for the state schools in Queensland (TRACER). You have to do all the legwork of introducing yourself to schools and begging for work. After about three months of being registered in Queensland I got a call from TRACER asking if I wanted one day's supply. I had already moved a thousand miles away for a permanent job so had to say no but when I returned to Brisbane and had done about a month of child care centre slave labour through a private agency, calling schools and sending out flyers, I finally called a school that were desperate for supply. I ended up having work from them almost everyday. Then I got a term's contract at another school and days here and there at other schools. I can PM you a list if you want.
Old May 27th 2007, 8:39 am
Back in the UK

I forgot to mention... Begin the registration process for teaching in Queensland as soon as you can. Even from there if possible. I have seen a few posts on here saying it took people about three months to get registered before they could teach or work in child care centres. This is a short time compared to mine. I waited 6 months to get registered because my police check needed to be sent back to the UK twice because it was wrong or they thought all the documents were not included in the application. They were, but my dramas getting a police clearance are a whole other story!! In my case that was 6 months where I was not able to teach at all. Even the average three months is a long time without work.
Old May 27th 2007, 9:15 am
Wanderer

That's the hitch I think you will come up against with teaching as you travel on a WHV. It's the same prob I'd have (as an Aussie) if I wanted to adopt the gypsy life and roam about Oz in my Kombi, teaching supply whenever I needed money...each state and territory has it's own registration system and you can't teach without it - and you don't want to be forking out cash for rego everytime you move (it cost me $60 PLUS the police check fee (think it was $40) to get registered when I moved to the NT. It took about 4 months for them to figure it out, and I was already registered in Queensland, had only just done a police check (they wouldn't accept it i had to get another). Saying that, if you have rego elsewhere they will let you teach with Interim rego until your proper rego comes through.

And it would be my assumption (I may be wrong of course!) that the NT would be one of the more 'laid back' Education Departments in Oz.

NSW were particularly rude as I recall about the whole being rego'd situation. They wouldn't even give me any advice on teaching in NSW until I had my registration. So I went elsewhere, the bastards!

I think you will have to think about picking one place to do your teaching (maybe trying even a contract post in WA or NT where they are desperate for teachers and will sometimes organise a lot of things for you, like relocation expenses and accom). Do that for 6 months and have a really interesting 'outback' experience, save your cash and then do your WHV travel thing, and maybe do the other type of work (or try supply in independent schools).

Anyway, I'm sure there will be others out there somewhere that have done it on a WHV and will be able to give you advice. I suppose you've posted on TES as well? Good luck!
Old May 27th 2007, 10:30 am
missapps

Hi Alicecat and Matilda!
Thanks again for your considerate and informative replies.
It doesn't say it on this thread, but I'm actually only going to Perth (Butler if that helps?) as I have family there, which is the whole reason i'm going!
Was originally going for a 136 visa and got the skills assessment back, ready to pay the enormous fee, when a health scare put it all in perspective so decided on WHV because i havent even been to Australia so cant really make major decision like that until youve been!!??
I just want to go for a year, travel a bit with money earned, but my base will be Perth for whole year, unless NSW offer more, im waiting on their reply.
I am on firstname terms with Wendy at WACOT and understand the whole registration process, have looked at all the agencies and recently registered with both HAYS and MASTERLOCK, who deal with supply work in oz, so fingers crossed, getting bases covered!
If not, it'll be bar work, cant stand the thought of working as a TA under a teacher- im a snob i know, but would rather get tips in oz bar!!!
Something will happen, just wanted to feel around the WHV vivbe ad its not pretty so far!! But its that or 136 and its a big jump!
Thanks again, sorry to have gone on again, seem to have habit of doing that!!
Matilda, if i ever make it to Brisbane, we must meet if your still there? it says only another 6 months, where you going?
Alicecat, Thanks but im going WA so queensland list wouldnt be appropriate would it?
Cheers again, both of you xxx
Laura xxxxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.