Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

New teacher looking for some advice!

New teacher looking for some advice!

Old Sep 21st 2014, 3:25 am
Just Joined

hooded_eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New teacher looking for some advice!

First of all I would like to say hello, I'm hooded_Eskimo I currently teach ICT at a Cambridge international center in China, I registered to ask a very important question to me which is regarding my situation and what to do in the following year.

So after graduating with a degree in Computer Science, I went to teach English in China, after one year of teaching English, I found a position teaching at a Cambridge international center.
For my 1st year there I was asked to make my own curriculum based around getting kids to know how to effectively use a computer and use certain software efficiently, which is unheard of for a first year qualified teacher yet alone a not even qualified teacher, although I did my best and successfully created a curriculum. Which in my 2nd year of being there would be scraped because I would be teaching IGCSE ICT (Which I am doing now).
So I am in my 2nd year teaching at this Cambridge center, in my 1st year teaching IGCSE ICT, with 3 years of teaching experience? I would like to stay another year to finish the IGCSE ICT Curriculum with my current kids (so that would be 4 years of experience teaching)
In the future I would like to teach IGCSE ICT and AS/A Level ICT even perhaps Computer Science (IGSCE & AS/A Level) at an international school.
Now on to my questions: With 4 years experience would I need to still do a PGCE? Some international school require me to be certificated to be able to teach in my own country, in that case I would, though even in Britain if you have enough years of experience teaching you don't need one.
Perhaps a Masters in Education would be better regarding my experience? Although some require me to already have a PGCE before enrolling also how many years experience does a PGCE equal to?.
Being 24 can I waste another year teaching without a PGCE? Meaning should I go home after this year get the PGCE, end up losing a FANTASTIC job and another years experience?
Am I not thinking of any other options I have, such as over seas learning? ( Which I can't do for PGCE because it requires in classroom training, although I could for some Masters)
Additional information - I'm British - Have done an online basic training course on how to teach the IGCSE ICT curriculum by Cambridge themselves.
Thank you for reading and I warmly welcome any advice especially from International teachers!
Old Sep 21st 2014, 9:06 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New teacher looking for some advice!

Hi hooded_eskimo and welcome to BE

As you have a specific enquiry I've moved your post over to our teaching section of the forum so hopefully the right people will see it
Old Sep 21st 2014, 9:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hooded_eskimo
First of all I would like to say hello, I'm hooded_Eskimo I currently teach ICT at a Cambridge international center in China, I registered to ask a very important question to me which is regarding my situation and what to do in the following year.

So after graduating with a degree in Computer Science, I went to teach English in China, after one year of teaching English, I found a position teaching at a Cambridge international center.
For my 1st year there I was asked to make my own curriculum based around getting kids to know how to effectively use a computer and use certain software efficiently, which is unheard of for a first year qualified teacher yet alone a not even qualified teacher, although I did my best and successfully created a curriculum. Which in my 2nd year of being there would be scraped because I would be teaching IGCSE ICT (Which I am doing now).
So I am in my 2nd year teaching at this Cambridge center, in my 1st year teaching IGCSE ICT, with 3 years of teaching experience? I would like to stay another year to finish the IGCSE ICT Curriculum with my current kids (so that would be 4 years of experience teaching)
In the future I would like to teach IGCSE ICT and AS/A Level ICT even perhaps Computer Science (IGSCE & AS/A Level) at an international school.
Now on to my questions: With 4 years experience would I need to still do a PGCE? Some international school require me to be certificated to be able to teach in my own country, in that case I would, though even in Britain if you have enough years of experience teaching you don't need one.
Perhaps a Masters in Education would be better regarding my experience? Although some require me to already have a PGCE before enrolling also how many years experience does a PGCE equal to?.
Being 24 can I waste another year teaching without a PGCE? Meaning should I go home after this year get the PGCE, end up losing a FANTASTIC job and another years experience?
Am I not thinking of any other options I have, such as over seas learning? ( Which I can't do for PGCE because it requires in classroom training, although I could for some Masters)
Additional information - I'm British - Have done an online basic training course on how to teach the IGCSE ICT curriculum by Cambridge themselves.
Thank you for reading and I warmly welcome any advice especially from International teachers!
Part of what complicates this for you is the fact that whatever country you are aiming to teach in at an international school will have its own requirements - firstly, requirements for a visa, and secondly requirements to enable you to teach there.
Are you heading to any country in particular?
Old Sep 21st 2014, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

hooded_eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks sparkles!

I was looking to teach in Japan specifically, looking for a job next year while still working in China, another question that I have is does anyone know if computer science /ICT teachers are in demand? I know compared to the sciences and math it's not as in demand.