Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Living in Mauritius, want to emmigrate to Oz, need PGCE

Living in Mauritius, want to emmigrate to Oz, need PGCE

Old Jan 21st 2012, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

little_miss_sunshine is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Living in Mauritius, want to emmigrate to Oz, need PGCE

Hi! Would be grateful for some input regarding my situation:

Am a British/Mauritian citizen who has been based in Mauritius for the last 14 years, teaching in an international primary school. I have a BA in English & German and have recently been awarded a Postgrad Dip Ed from Bath Uni (distance). I would love to emmigrate to Australia in the near future and am aware that I will need some proven form of teacher training.

My questions are:
1. As the only way I can feasibly study for a PGCE from Mauritius is to do a 2-year part time course at the local university, would this be acceptable for visa purposes?
2. Would it make more sense to train (and work in Mauritius) in a different age range (ie EC or Secondary), since Primary is off the SOL?

If anyone can shed any light on these questions or offer any pointers, I'd be extremely grateful (relocating to the UK for training would be an added upheaval as I'm a single mum of 2).

Thanks!
Old Feb 5th 2012, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

khitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nice
Default Re: Living in Mauritius, want to emmigrate to Oz, need PGCE

I would suspect if you can produce evidence of your experience of teaching that Australian authorities would take this into account. If you are only wanting to emigrate to Australia, there is no point doing a PGCE in the UK for however long you would like to take it. You need to find out what courses you can take in Australia that are sufficient. Preferably with on-the-job training.