Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

I've been asked for my Christian Testimony and a Pastor's Reference!?

I've been asked for my Christian Testimony and a Pastor's Reference!?

Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:32 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Question I've been asked for my Christian Testimony and a Pastor's Reference!?

I recently submitted my CV to a few of the local private schools. Today I've received an email saying:

'To process your application further we will require your Christian Testimony and a Pastor’s reference.'

Erm...anyone?!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've been asked for my Christian Testimony and a Pastor's Reference!?

Many private Anglican and Catholic schools will not employ anyone without these. It is to prove to them that you are practising in their religion and accept the ethos of the school.

Good Luck!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:20 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've been asked for my Christian Testimony and a Pastor's Reference!?

Originally Posted by Briar
Many private Anglican and Catholic schools will not employ anyone without these. It is to prove to them that you are practising in their religion and accept the ethos of the school.

Good Luck!
Well I don't attend church, so does that mean I should just give up now?
Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:13 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Well I don't attend church, so does that mean I should just give up now?
Unfortunately Jen, yes!! Virtually all the 'faith' schools will only employ people of that faith. In saying that, you may get lucky!

Good luck xx
Old Feb 17th 2010, 6:23 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Unfortunately Jen, yes!! Virtually all the 'faith' schools will only employ people of that faith. In saying that, you may get lucky!

Good luck xx
lol
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Jen - if you cant provide what the faith schools require, you are paddling up stream!!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Nailed it is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems that most private schools seem to have some kind of religious affiliation, I'm not a religious person but if I wanted to work in one of these schools do I just need to start going to church when I get to Oz and introduce myself to the vicar? Then when the time comes to get a letter all should be ok!?!

Has anybody had to do this?...Or know a way around this situation? I'm probably halfway to Hell anyway so bending the rules like this should secure me a prime seat!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:13 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

I applied to a local private Christian school for relief work recently and they said without a church reference they weren't interested - and this was just for relief!!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:17 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

I did not really notice any schools of this sort in the UK when I was there so if you base your understanding on UK 'faith schools' it is not going to be entirely accurate. I think faith schools in the UK are more traditional denominations and you may get away with some of the above suggestions in an Anglican or Catholic (ie: traditional) Christian school, but in any of the more contemporary places you will struggle.

Some will want you to sign a statement of faith, attend church regularly and participate in worship services and prayer and etc during school time. They will also expect you to commit to living according to a Biblical worldview (no drinking or mad shagging...or swearing, or in some cases NO DANCING!) and expect you to promote this to the students. One school I taught at had a revival during morning assembly and half the school stayed in the hall singing and praying whilst the others went to class.

You also have to ask yourself whether that is the environment in which you would feel comfortable teaching.

That said, I know many of these schools have their handful of renegades - often teachers from more traditional church backgrounds. Or Baptists.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:21 pm
Wanderer

saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Re: Christian testimony...

www.stevensworld.biz/christian_testimony.html
Told whilst performing with a variety of juggling equipment

www.whatagod.com/addguest.htm

Okay, so I haven't checked these and they might be mad, but it's basically the story of how you came to know the Lord - road to Damascus type stuff.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:40 pm
Wanderer

btw, were the schools who wanted this TCC or COC???
Old Feb 27th 2010, 10:34 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kar-kier

Good luck xx
That is not entirely true, I worked at an Independant Catholic school for over a year and I am not part of any Church. I just left that part blank on the Job Application form and nothing was said about it.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 9:46 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by saoghalbeag
btw, were the schools who wanted this TCC or COC???
Yup lol not telling you which tho tee hee
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 4:32 am
Wanderer

lol hope it goes well - is that the school you're waiting to hear back from? I did a prac at TCC. The school history is very interesting but maybe for a PM - don't want to be sued!!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 4:48 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by saoghalbeag
lol hope it goes well - is that the school you're waiting to hear back from? I did a prac at TCC. The school history is very interesting but maybe for a PM - don't want to be sued!!
PM ME, PM ME! lol