interesting wacot news

Old Nov 22nd 2006, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice
Default interesting wacot news

Hi all,

I have recently received my membership certificate from wacot. You can do everthing from the UK but have to go in to sign your aussie criminal records check and they sign it as well.

Anyway, that was 2 weeks ago and it's already come through, and although I'm still waiting for information from the education department regarding when I can attend an orientation course.... I have discovered that you can teach in private schools just with a wacot number. I'm in the SW and there's plenty of relief work around... so hopefully this info will help my (and anyone else's) budget.

All the best,

Gemma
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:21 pm
WA country gal

freckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to all
Default Re: interesting wacot news

Hi Gemma,
that certainly is very interesting news! I live in the South West as well, near Nannup, and my application is being processed at WACOT right now. But from what I hear it will be a huge hassle to get the actual Dept of Education approval: assessing the application will apparently take another eight weeks, then follows a three day workshop and ten days of supervised teaching. Ahhh! But it would be absolutely great to be able to start teaching with just the WACOT number. Thanks for your advice. Can you share some of your experiences with me? What are Aussie schools like? And where are you based?
Thanks! Sonja
Old Nov 24th 2006, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice

Hi Sonja,

I went to Nannup yesterday! Blackwood winery ... HMMMM.

I am based in Boyanup. Am just beginning to go round schools. Basically I've got my wacot number and am ringing private schools, saying 'do you want a cv to consider relief work' they all say yes, and then I've said I'll hand it in in person (that way you get a butchers at the school).

My impression so far of private schools are VERY different. I prob wouldn't work in a private school in UK but here over a third of kids attend so it's not so much of a class issue.

Anyway, have been to 2 so far. So far: small, casual sums it up. Casual in that there's no security like in UK schools, small 'cos they're rural. But basically they've all been v. nice and friendly, informative and helpful re WA curriculum, and v reassuring. All have said there's plenty of relief work in the country. I am also a pianist which appeals to primary schools... how come you're in Nannup??

yes, my application is also being processed by the ed department. I submitted all my paperwork in August, then they were waiting for the criminal check that wacot do on their behalf. WACOT forward it to the department, THEN it's an 8 week wait, THEN the orientation course. Someone told me they sometimes let UK teachers off the teaching assessment bit of it, therefore consists of: 3 day course, interview, presentation. If you pass, you get an ID number.

Hope this helps, look forward to hearing from you
Gemma
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:47 pm
WA country gal

freckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to all

Hi Gemma,
how amazing that you were actually in Nannup yesterday! What a small world... We could meet you some time if you like. We came across Nannup on our travels around Australia and instantly fell in love with it. Everything is great so far, except the job bit. My husband Eric just started Karri Country IT, his own computer business, but not much luck so far. And I work at Busselton Early Education three days a week, for want of my teaching approval. You are so lucky to be able to skip the supervised teaching prac, I really dont wanna go through that stuff again. I finished teachers training almost ten years ago, and now I feel like a student again. But well.. Nannup school is pretty cute and very casual, and I would like doing relief work there. Thats why I have to jump the hoops again.
Please let me know when you will be back in Nannup, we could have a coffee at Hamish's cafe. Best of WA!
Sonja
Old Nov 25th 2006, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Hey Sonja,

Are you British? Maybe they'll let you off the teaching practice.. I've received no definite info that I can do that, I've just got my fingers crossed!

I doubt I'll be in Nannup for a while but we've been planning to go to Busselton for ages. Happy to meet up! When did you guys arrive in Oz? We've been here less than a month but my husband is from here (am on spouse visa) so he is 'home' after 10 years in UK.

take care,

Gemma
Old Nov 25th 2006, 10:22 am
WA country gal

Hi Gemma,
I am not british, but Dutch, so the teaching practice will have to go through I am afraid. I will just view it as another chance to get acqainted with the Aussie school system. Would be cool to meet up in Busso, I work there on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays. Monday afternoons I finish at three, so maybe we can meet for coffee sometime?
Our website is www.australiannotes.com and that has a link to our email as well. Would be nice to meet you. So no plans for working at Nannup school?
Bye for now,
Sonja