British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/)
-   -   IELTS tests for Australian Visa for teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/ielts-tests-australian-visa-teaching-804154/)

Teacherben Jul 26th 2013 9:22 pm

IELTS tests for Australian Visa for teaching

Hi everyone,

Firstly thank you very much in advance for any help! It's much appreciated.

I'm looking to emigrate to Australia in January 2015 in time for the academic year to start. I've just sent off my certificates etc to AITSL for my skills assessment. On that form it talks about English proficiency:

English language proficiency requirements from 1 January 2013
1. An Academic version of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Test Report Form (TRF) that shows:
• a score of at least 7.0 for Reading and Writing; and
• a score of at least 8.0 for Speaking and Listening.
The IELTS test scores must appear on a single IELTS TRF and be the result of a
test undertaken during the 12 month period prior to submitting an application.
OR
2. An applicant has completed study assessed by AITSL as comparable to at least four years of full-time (or part-time equivalent) higher education (university) study, that results in a qualification/s comparable to the education level of an Australian bachelor degree or higher, (must include a recognised initial teacher education qualification) undertaken in Australia, Canada, the Republic of Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States of America.

However, when I look on the SkillSelect website it says I need to to score 8 in each of the 4 IELTS categories to gain 20 points in the English section.

If I have my English assessed by AITSL do I still need to do this IELTS test?

Any help appreciated!!

Thanks,

Teacherben :)

Briar Jul 27th 2013 8:14 am

Re: IELTS tests for Australian Visa for teaching

I understood that to get the 20 points you could only use IELTS Academic with a score of 8 across the board. However I might not be right so hope someone else comes along who knows for sure!

Teacherben Jul 27th 2013 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Briar (Post 10821435)
I understood that to get the 20 points you could only use IELTS Academic with a score of 8 across the board. However I might not be right so hope someone else comes along who knows for sure!

Thanks! As I understand it now I do need to take my IETSL test, but I'm not sure whether its the General or Academic version. SkillSelect says the following:

There are two IELTS tests—an academic test and a general training test. You need to take only the general test unless otherwise advised by your skills assessing authority.

I didn't have to do the IELTS for my skills assessment with AITSL, so not sure which test to book!

At help appreciated!

Thanks

Teacherben :fingerscrossed:

Pollyana Jul 27th 2013 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Teacherben (Post 10821439)
Thanks! As I understand it now I do need to take my IETSL test, but I'm not sure whether its the General or Academic version. SkillSelect says the following:

There are two IELTS tests—an academic test and a general training test. You need to take only the general test unless otherwise advised by your skills assessing authority.

I didn't have to do the IELTS for my skills assessment with AITSL, so not sure which test to book!

At help appreciated!

Thanks

Teacherben :fingerscrossed:

If AITSL, your assessment body, don't need you to do IELTS then you only need to do the general one. See the bit I've put in bold in your post. :)

Briar Jul 27th 2013 2:03 pm

Maybe check with the Teachers Registration Board in whatever state you are going to be teaching in as I know that the TRB in WA used only to accept the Academic EILTS. But that was before they changed their constitution last year, so things could have altered since them.

scot47 Jul 28th 2013 12:42 pm

For sure they will expect the academic version of IELTS. Scores at the level they demand are not easy to achieve - even for educated native speakers !