British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/)
-   -   I want to train to become a teacher in Australia. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/i-want-train-become-teacher-australia-460178/)

Gina123 Jun 21st 2007 12:28 pm

I want to train to become a teacher in Australia.

Hi there, I am a 24 year old female currently living in the UK. I have 4 Alevels two of them in English lit and english language.

I have been working in the UK as an HLTA Learning manager for the last 2 years in a local secondary school, and have decided that teaching may be the career for me.

I have no degree and realise that I would need to obtain a degree and teaching qualification in order to gain employment as a teacher. (I fancy teaching english and drama in secondary school).

My husband and I want to emigrate to australia towards the end of next year anytime from july onwards. He works for a company in the UK that could sponsor him to transfer to Australia.
Therefore I would like to start my studies in Australia, no point in starting here if we move next year.

Does anyone have any advice or tips about training to teach in Australia. We fancy living in melbourne but are prepared to relocate anywhere, where are the best uni courses? How do the courses suit mature students? What is it like working as a teacher in Aus?

Any information or advice greatly appreciated....

Gems Jun 21st 2007 1:28 pm

Re: I want to train to become a teacher in Australia.

Hello,

Studying in Oz can be done.
You can study distance learning too, you can do some courses via
www. openuniversities.com.au
Or the local uni might do some external places, you do work online and teaching at your local school. These are usually full time or part time.

But depends on what you want to do, you may want to study on campus at Uni.

Teacher training usually attracts mature students, so very unlikely you would be the only one. My hubby had a lady who qualified at the age of 40 at his old school in England. Think quite a few women go into teaching either after being at home with kids, or just wanting career change.

Only thing is Ive heard newly qualified teachers may have to do rural service first. Basically you work in rural school for a year or two. Then move back to the city. But dont know the details of this.

Cant really advice about whats best course/uni in Oz. Except if its what you want go for it! Its never too late.

GEMS

Gems Jun 21st 2007 1:29 pm

Ps, do some voluntary work helping out at a local school prior to putting in your application. That way you have little experience in school setting, its usually expected these days.

GEMS

Gina123 Jun 21st 2007 4:33 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply and post so much info, I wasnt sure about the distance learning so Im going to look into it because I have a little girl so that would be the better option for me.

Thanks again for your advice, Im going to have a good look into this and think Im going to go for it..

Gina