Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Hi.....first (of many) posts / questions!! .....

Hi.....first (of many) posts / questions!! .....

Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Kirstyjo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi.....first (of many) posts / questions!! .....

Hi

Firstly can i just say what a brilliant find this website was - some excellent advice & information!!

I am currently a secondary teacher working in the midlands - background: trained as a History & Citizenship teacher. Taught History, Politics, R.S. Sociology and Citizenship. Currently Assistant Director of Citizenship Education.

My husband is currently finishing a PhD in Bio-Chemistry (will finish end of September). He has just applied for a few jobs in Brisbane and Newcastle.

Moving to Australia has been a goal of ours for a few years.

Ok, here come the questions!! ...

- If my husband gets one of the jobs he has applied for, would i go over on his visa or would i have to apply for a seperate visa?

- What would be the best way to apply for teaching jobs?? (I understand that i need to register in the states i would be working in, but can I start applying for jobs here - or do i wait until we move over??)

- Would it be likely that i would be able to get a position of responsibility like i do here in the UK?

Thanks in advance!! x
Old Jan 25th 2009, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hi.....first (of many) posts / questions!! .....

Originally Posted by Kirstyjo

Hi

Firstly can i just say what a brilliant find this website was - some excellent advice & information!!

I am currently a secondary teacher working in the midlands - background: trained as a History & Citizenship teacher. Taught History, Politics, R.S. Sociology and Citizenship. Currently Assistant Director of Citizenship Education.

My husband is currently finishing a PhD in Bio-Chemistry (will finish end of September). He has just applied for a few jobs in Brisbane and Newcastle.

Moving to Australia has been a goal of ours for a few years.

Ok, here come the questions!! ...

- If my husband gets one of the jobs he has applied for, would i go over on his visa or would i have to apply for a seperate visa?

- What would be the best way to apply for teaching jobs?? (I understand that i need to register in the states i would be working in, but can I start applying for jobs here - or do i wait until we move over??)

- Would it be likely that i would be able to get a position of responsibility like i do here in the UK?

Thanks in advance!! x
You would go over on his visa- you'd just need to show evidence of a genuine relationship to qualify for that but it's pretty simple.

Most people apply for teaching jobs once they arrive, better schools like to see people and interview them face to face. However it is possible to get a job from the UK and worth a go. You may need to do some orientation courses when you get to Oz (it depends on the state), and you can't start work until they are done so that might make it impossible to apply from the UK.

Most people go back to being just bog standard teachers when they first arrive. Having been here 6 months though both my husband and I have got posts (starting tuesday eeek) with responsibilities- actually promotions from our UK post. So don't believe people who tell you it's not possible.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Kirstyjo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Hi.....first (of many) posts / questions!! .....

Can i do these 'orientation' courses here in the Uk before moving out to Oz? Do you know where i would need to apply for them??

Many thanks! x
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hi.....first (of many) posts / questions!! .....

Originally Posted by Kirstyjo
Can i do these 'orientation' courses here in the Uk before moving out to Oz? Do you know where i would need to apply for them??

Many thanks! x
http://www.qct.edu.au/registration/index.html this is the website you need for QLD registration,

I'm in Victoria so not really up to date on QLD registration. From what I've heard you have to do the courses when you arrive- but as I say it depends on the state... not all states have them as a compulsory element (VIC doesn't for example).