help!

Old May 9th 2010, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

misssanchez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help!

hi...

I was just wondering if anyone could help me..

I am a Newly Qualified Teacher from Scotland (and will be granted full registration next month) (Secondary - English)

I would like to teach in WA and want to apply for Teacher's registration and a Skilled Work Visa as soon as possible. (as I've already had a working holiday visa )

but after reading one of these threads, I am a little worried as someone wrote that I will not be considered for registration with WACOT if I am not '4 yr trained'.
Does anyone know if this is true!?!
I have an Hons degree in italian and I completed a PGDE (which is a one year teaching Postgraduate diploma in education - at the Universtiy of Strathclyde, Glasgow)
This also involves a one year 'probationary' teaching position in a Scottish High School which I've almost finished.

My second question is should I apply for the Skilled Work Visa before I apply to WACOT?
Is this difficult to get?
and final question (i promise)! is it advisable to get a visa-experts company to help you apply?!

Thank you for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for any advice you can give me

Steph

Last edited by misssanchez; May 9th 2010 at 2:12 pm.
Old May 11th 2010, 8:36 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Default Re: help!

Originally Posted by misssanchez
hi...

I was just wondering if anyone could help me..

I am a Newly Qualified Teacher from Scotland (and will be granted full registration next month) (Secondary - English)

I would like to teach in WA and want to apply for Teacher's registration and a Skilled Work Visa as soon as possible. (as I've already had a working holiday visa )

but after reading one of these threads, I am a little worried as someone wrote that I will not be considered for registration with WACOT if I am not '4 yr trained'.
Does anyone know if this is true!?!
I have an Hons degree in italian and I completed a PGDE (which is a one year teaching Postgraduate diploma in education - at the Universtiy of Strathclyde, Glasgow)
This also involves a one year 'probationary' teaching position in a Scottish High School which I've almost finished.

My second question is should I apply for the Skilled Work Visa before I apply to WACOT?
Is this difficult to get?
and final question (i promise)! is it advisable to get a visa-experts company to help you apply?!

Thank you for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for any advice you can give me

Steph
1) Yes you can teach with what you have, you just must have completed 4 yrs at university, ONE of which must be teacher training.

2) I would put your visa in first, but remember that they are not accepting any new 175 visas until July 10 at the earliest. You will need to get your skills assessment done with Teach Australia for your visa, I would wait and get your WACOT registration once you actually have a visa!

3) I would just do it yourself, it is not difficult!

One thing I would be careful of, is that for a 175 visa you must have worked for 12 months out of the past 24 in the SOL occupation! Due to school terms, you have technically only worked for 9 months - just something to bear in mind!
Old May 11th 2010, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

hi there, and thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate the advice. (All the conflicting emails I have been sent recently from different companies etc have been tough to sort through) it can all get quite confusing!

I am worried that because my undergrad degree was in Italian (5 years) - but my postgrad teaching qualification is in English, that there will be a problem with my application.

Thanks. I will definitely sort out gaining another 2 months experience as a teacher.

hope you are enjoying your aussie dream!

Steph
Old May 14th 2010, 1:05 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

You can only register with WACOT when you have the right to work in Australia by holding a valid work visa, so you would have to have this before you can apply
Old May 14th 2010, 1:09 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, two other things:

If you hold a contract with a school, for example for a school year from September, you can count all the school holidays including August as you are employed during this time (unless the contract specifically ends before the summer holiday).

Also, the skills assessment for Teachers is very simple and its definitely not worth using a agent as you end up collecting all the evidence/information any way. The visa application is also straightforward so I would just do it yourself and save the money (we did and had no problems!).
Old May 14th 2010, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for all the advice