GTP Toronto

Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

DerbyRam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GTP Toronto

Please could you help. I have applied for PR in Nov 04, with the aim of teaching when I get to Toronto. I am a mature GTP qualified Teacher with 6 years experience of teaching ICT at secondary level in the UK.
I recently was informed that my GTP qualification may not be recognised in Canada. I find this unbelievable. Please can anybody else inform me of the facts.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

jon254 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GTP Toronto

If you check out the information on the OCT web site you'll find that the GTP route is not recognised since it does not contain the theory aspects OCT requires from their teaching courses.

You'll also find that getting info out of them prior to landing is much like blood out of a stone. The other problem we have (I too am ICT) is that Ontario ICT is actually computer science so is a very different curriculum. The closest thing to our ICT curriculum is actually their Business studies courses.

Sorry if the news is n't what you want to hear, but from all the info I've gathered so far that seems to be the way it works.

Jon
Old Mar 19th 2006, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

DerbyRam is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Jon for all your help. Its probably not what I wanted to hear but I appreciate your time to respond. I will have to consider an alternative strategy now. Thanks

Originally Posted by jon254
If you check out the information on the OCT web site you'll find that the GTP route is not recognised since it does not contain the theory aspects OCT requires from their teaching courses.

You'll also find that getting info out of them prior to landing is much like blood out of a stone. The other problem we have (I too am ICT) is that Ontario ICT is actually computer science so is a very different curriculum. The closest thing to our ICT curriculum is actually their Business studies courses.

Sorry if the news is n't what you want to hear, but from all the info I've gathered so far that seems to be the way it works.

Jon
Old Mar 19th 2006, 1:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DerbyRam
I recently was informed that my GTP qualification may not be recognised in Canada. I find this unbelievable. Please can anybody else inform me of the facts.
I'm not sure if GTP is recognised anywhere outside the UK (unlike PGCE or BEd degrees). It seems that Australia doesn't recognise it either.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

itchyfeet06 is an unknown quantity at this point

But GTp is only the route - at the end of it you are given QTS - Qualified teacher status which is what you get at the end of a Bed so is it not the same then?
Old Mar 19th 2006, 10:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itchyfeet06
But GTp is only the route - at the end of it you are given QTS - Qualified teacher status which is what you get at the end of a Bed so is it not the same then?
No, it's not the same. I can't speak for Canada, but in Australia they are also interested in how you obtained your UK qualified teacher status. They will accept a BEd or a PCGE, but as far as I know the fact you are a UK (and in fact, England) qualified teacher in itself doesn't transfer across.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

jon254 is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing you'll realise is their is always an alternative. Since you're prepared for the news they will not accept your qualifications then the question is how to get around it.

When you apply to OCT if your credential's are not up to their marks they will advise how to gain the required level of qualification. Looking on the positive side this means you retrain in Canada for teaching if you don't mind the 2 years spent at Uni again it may help better prepare you for the Canadian job market and with PR timescales quickly extending it could be a possibility to get in on a study permit quicker. (Depends I know upon your personal circumstances but hey where there's a will there's a way).

Itchy Feet, I'm afraid it's how you obtained QTS that does count. OCT expect a number of taught hours within your QTS qualification. GTP by its nature does not afford those taught hours hence it does not count towards the OCT accreditation.

After 2 years I'm still waiting for the call. I've just been promoted in the UK to a level I'll probably never achieve in Canada, but I realise for me at least money is n't everything.

Good Luck and don't be too despondent

Jon