Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Graduate Diploma os Education - ECS or Primary? Very Confused!

Graduate Diploma os Education - ECS or Primary? Very Confused!

Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:23 am
Just Joined

starseed35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Graduate Diploma os Education - ECS or Primary? Very Confused!

Hi guys,

I am currently working and living in Seoul as a homeroom teacher to Grade 3 students at an English Immersion elementary school and have been at this job for two years now. During this time, I have decided that teaching is for me, and would like to ultimately emigrate to Australia and become a certified teacher.

I would like to go directly to Australia from Korea and start my Graduate Diploma of Education there, and upon graduation, gain employment in Australia (I realize this is not necessarily an easy thing to do) or abroad, at an International school.

I understand that Primary School teachers are no longer on the SOL in Australia. I want to take my Graduate Diploma of Education in either ECS or Primary. I am confused as to the qualifications these two diplomas leave you with. I have read on some sites that pre-primary school ages include 4-8 year olds. Is this correct? If so, it would be perfect for me, as I have really enjoyed teaching Grade 2/3 these past few years and would like to continue doing so.

If not, to teach or to be granted a working visa as a pre-primary teacher, must you have a pre-primary qualification? Could you teach the earlier years with a primary diploma? On the flip side, if I got the Grad Dip (ECS) in Australia, could I teach regular primary ages outside of Australia? (ie., international schools) or does this limit me?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 10th 2010, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Graduate Diploma os Education - ECS or Primary? Very Confused!

Australian teaching qualifications are normally accepted in International Schools. Hubby has worked in International Schools.

Its also accepted in the UK and most countries.

The do an early years teaching degree which is Birth to Year 3 at Curtin University. So you can get a job in both pre-school centre and schools Kindy -Y3. I have heard may be more jobs in the early years at the moment.

Primary is generally up to Year 6 or 7 depending on the state.

What ever country you do your course with just make sure its a total of 4 years. eg 3 year degree+ Post Graduate/Graduate diploma, or 4 year teaching degree.

Gems
Old Sep 10th 2010, 6:03 am
Just Joined

starseed35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your reply, Gems.

I just checked out the Curtin Uni website and they made a point to say under their desciprtion of the Graduate Diploma of Education that 'it will not qualify for registry in WA.' Any idea why? I guess that's out.

So if I do sign up for a program elsewhere in Perth, I could take a Grad Dip in Edu (ECS) and teach up to Grade 3. To clarify, Year 3 and Grade 3 are approximately the same age range (8-9years)?

Could I teach those early years with simply a Primary Grad Dip? For some reason, I think the Primary Grad Dip might translate better back home if I do ever want to teach there.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Year 3 is about age 8 here in WA.

Very surprised that the Curtin course will not be eligable for registration in WA. Lots of Aussi mums on doing the course and dont think they know.

With a normal Primary course its Year 1 to Year 6/7. Primary schools go up to Year 7 in WA, but private schools and other states it only Year 6.

Gems
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

nathughes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am hoping to go in 2012 and do the Graduate Diploma in Education (Primary) and I am wondering do you know anyone who has done it and gone to work in Ireland. I dont want to go over do it and when i return home be told no sory it doesnt qualify here Im really worried as i dont want to stay in Oz for life just for a few year to get some experience maybe 3 or 4

Nat