Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN EDUCATION AUSTRALIA

GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN EDUCATION AUSTRALIA

Old May 6th 2009, 11:45 am
Just Joined

tomUK81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN EDUCATION AUSTRALIA

Please can anyone offer any advice or help?

I am a 27 year old UK national who has applied to study a Graduate Diploma in Education in Perth and a Master of Teaching (secondary) course in QLD. Im awaiting the outcome at the moment.

My aim is to become a secondary school teacher in Australia. I am hoping the course will eventually lead to perm migration but am unsure of my options once the course has finished. The last thing I would want is to finish study and then return to England. Thats partly a reason for doing the course. I hear there is a shortage of teachers in Oz.

I am aware of the points system and also the state sponsorship program which is an option. Has anyone gone through a similar process? or is there anyone I need to contact about this?

The difference beween the 2 courses I have applied for effects things as one is for 1 year and the other 2 years, I believe this can have an impact on things and what to apply for once ive finished?

Thanks to anyone who can help, your time is much appreciated.
Old May 7th 2009, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

lekkilizard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN EDUCATION AUSTRALIA

Originally Posted by tomUK81
Please can anyone offer any advice or help?

I am a 27 year old UK national who has applied to study a Graduate Diploma in Education in Perth and a Master of Teaching (secondary) course in QLD. Im awaiting the outcome at the moment.

My aim is to become a secondary school teacher in Australia. I am hoping the course will eventually lead to perm migration but am unsure of my options once the course has finished. The last thing I would want is to finish study and then return to England. Thats partly a reason for doing the course. I hear there is a shortage of teachers in Oz.

I am aware of the points system and also the state sponsorship program which is an option. Has anyone gone through a similar process? or is there anyone I need to contact about this?

The difference beween the 2 courses I have applied for effects things as one is for 1 year and the other 2 years, I believe this can have an impact on things and what to apply for once ive finished?

Thanks to anyone who can help, your time is much appreciated.
I know of 2 people who studied last year in Perth completing the Dip Ed course. They are employed on a 457 Visa and are teaching rural/remote like myself and others. They will go for PR in a couple of years. Also work with someone who trained in Perth a couple of years ago and he is 457 as well and says that it was really easy to gain employment in Oz as he has a Australian Qualification.

Check with DET WA for clarification.

Nx
Old May 8th 2009, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

TomUK81 - It depends on what state you want to eventually work in as to what course you should follow.

WA will have an oversupply of secondary teachers from next year for a few years. There is a half cohort moving through the school system who will hit high school in 2010 and move through the system for 5 years. So there will be many secondary teachers struggling to find employment during that time.

However, I understand from enquiries I have made, that the Northern Territory and Queensland, are short of seondary teachers, and still have sponsorship programs underway.

This is all information I have gathered over the last week. If I have anything wrong, please correct me!

Briar
Old May 8th 2009, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

Woops - pressed the send button before I said, GOOD LUCK IN WHATEVER YOU DECIDE TO DO!! Briar
Old May 27th 2009, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Dobbsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Just make sure you take a two year course, otherwise you will not have met the immigration requirements to stay after the course has finished. I made this mistake recently....

I had been offered a place at Notre Dame Uni in Fremantle, sold my house within 3 weeks (surprising in this climate) booked my medicals, booked pickfords etc....... then found out I needed two years of Australian study to meet immi requirements to stay after the course had finished. We had to pull out as two years was just to costly. £7,500 per yr - course, plus I have 2 children and would have to pay towards their education, working part time etc.... it was stretching us to do one year, so two was the nail in the coffin!

I'm already a teacher in the UK, but GTP trained and not recognised in Oz. It was working out about £40k to get the same qualification. An agent has advised me to wait another year until I have been working for 3 years, then apply on a general visa (degree plus 3 yrs work exp). I won't be able to teach, but we will be in ... then I could apply for uni then as it would be cheaper all round. My sister lives in Perth so we can apply for a sponsored visa, and I will need to take the english test to make up my points. But hey ho..... won't give up...... We've been to Perth twice over the last couple of years and its a great way of life.

I had asked uni to put me in touch with another international student already on the course which helped me get further questions answered,,,, you could try that.

Good luck, if you can afford it... go for it!... I'm a bit jealous now!!!
Old Jul 4th 2009, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Can someone tell me what the Grad dip ed in Australia is like ? Seems pretty full on ?
Old Apr 8th 2010, 6:30 am
Just Joined

iamcraig is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to give it a bit of a bump.

I am currently thinking of doing that same thing and moving to Queensland to get a Grad Dip in Ed and becoming a middle school teacher. The idea of having to pay for a two year qualification is pretty terrifying!

Can anyone offer up any more information on this?

Also, if you read this Tom, did you manage to get out there and make it all happen?

Any information that people can offer regarding qualifications and visas would be greatly appreciated!

Craig
Old May 4th 2010, 8:43 am
Just Joined

lee08 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll give it a bump too!

I've decided that i want to go into teaching and was thinking of doing my teacher training in Australia because i just can't bear the thought of going back to the UK and re-training there too... (i live in Japan and am teaching now)

I already have a degree (albeit in graphic design) but after 5 years of teaching in Japan, I think I've finally found something i like doing.

I'm trying to find info on how and IF this is possible - getting onto and completing the course might be fairly straightforward, but it's as the OP said - what happens AFTER that..?

Is there anyone out there that's done it and has experience? I personally need to know the ins and outs of correct course selection, it's consequences and what to expect afterwards - basically everything! But where do i start?!
Old May 4th 2010, 8:50 am
Just Joined

lee08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's some info about me:-

I am 35 years old and from the UK,
I have a Ba(HONS)in Graphic design (but no teaching qualifications yet),
I have 5 years recent experience as a teaching assistant (to 3-16 year olds) and 1 year experience teaching solo (to 15 year old students),
I lived in Australia for 1 year on a working holiday visa,
I want to emigrate for good,
I want to go into Pre-primary school teaching.

Last edited by lee08; May 4th 2010 at 9:12 am.