Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Getting my qualifications before a big move

Getting my qualifications before a big move

Old Dec 12th 2007, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Carolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really nice
Default Getting my qualifications before a big move

My boyfriend lives in new york and is American, I am english and live in England. We plan on marrying in the next 4 four years but I want to qualify as a teacher before going to America so that I always have the option of returning here to live and teach. I have applied for the GTP and am applying for the primary PGCE (although i know I just missed the early deadline which could put me back a year). What I would like is your opinions on what I am doing. Would it make more sense to study abroad or should I stick to my current plan and continue what seems like the longest journey of my life, i just want to be able to live with my boyfriend and work! Who would have thought it would be such a hassle!!! ARGH so much stress!!

Is anyone else in a similar situation??
Old Dec 12th 2007, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

el chupacabre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting my qualifications before a big move

Studying in the US can cost big $$$$ as you will be an international student- so it all depends on whether you will be able to afford the tuition fees and then cost of living once youre out there.
Regarding getting qualified in the UK, I dont think GTP would work. As is the problem with GTP and Australia, I think the same applies to the States. To be able to teach in the US you need to hold a teaching certificate (ie PGCE) from an accredited university. With GTP, whilst you get valuable on the job training, you dont get a post-graduate degree and therefore I dont think you are able to use this to become licensed. Seems crazy I know as GTP teachers are just as qualified as PGCE trained teachers, they just havent had to faff around writing essays that show you can 'write and essay', but not actually prove you can teach. But as far as Im aware, GTP is not recognised in the US therefore you will not be able to gain your teachers license based on this (someone correct me if Im wrong).
If you go the PGCE route and get your qualification, then you will need to become state certified to teach in NY. This will involve getting your qualifications 'Americanised' (using, for eg, www.wes.org) and then taking the appropriate Praxis exams to become licensed in whatever area you teach (in your case, elementary). Further details can be found on NYS ed web page
http://www.nysed.gov/ and for the praxis exams (with example papers) on www.praxis.org.uk/
Be aware though, that just like the UK, teaching jobs (especially in elementary/middle schools) are hard to come by in NY as Ny too has a surplus of teachers- unless of course your going to be in NYC.
Good luck
Old Dec 12th 2007, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

chan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nice
Default Re: Getting my qualifications before a big move

I'm not in a similar situation, but I have something interesting to add.

I'm an elementary school teacher in Canada and the New York City school board comes to Vancouver and other Canadian cities every year to recruit teachers. They are in desperate need for all grades and all subject areas. I don't know any more details, but their arrival always makes the headlines around here. This might be something worth looking into if you ever consider making a permanent move...

On another note, your UK qualifications might not be fully-transferable to NY state. I'd contact the relevant state teacher certification organization in NY for more information before you decide either way. The last thing you'd want to do is have to redo education coursework if you decide to live in NY permanently.