Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Getting harassed by a migration agent and actually quite tempted. What do ppl think?

Getting harassed by a migration agent and actually quite tempted. What do ppl think?

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Bev_n is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting harassed by a migration agent and actually quite tempted. What do ppl think?

Hi there

I just got a call from a migration agent, she went through all of my options and said that i qualified for the State Skilled Migrant Visa, which I already knew anyway. She said that my 12 months on supply may not be sufficient as 12 months experience but it will probably be ok if I have pay slips from my supply agency from over a year ago and a letter from the agency.

She said it will cost £3,300 paid in 3 instalments:

£100 To register and receive information pack with all the documentation to start the process.

£1850 When you send the documents back.

£1350 Final payment

But they take £1750, the rest are immigration fees. So is that like saying I could save £1750 by going alone?

I'm quite tempted to just pay it because they set up a bank account, arrange for your Tax File Number and guarantee your visa. I'm not really sure how to do the bank account and the tax stuff so that would be something less to think about.

What do people think? have any of you gone with an agent and regretted it?

Hope someone can help me out

bev xxx
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

derekgoforth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting harassed by a migration agent and actually quite tempted. What do ppl thi

the bank account is dead easy to set up as is the TFN. i really cant see how they can offer to guarantee a visa, are there any guarantees in this process.

which part of aus are you wanting to go to?

lots of people pay agent fees and lots dont, if you know people out there already or dont mind making lots and lots of phone calls you may want to consider going it alone

WA may very well start up their sponsorship scheme again for suitable teachers, i may be good to at least get your name registered with them if u havnt done that already. lots of helpful people on here, keep posting questions and someone will answer them

all the best
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Bev_n is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting harassed by a migration agent and actually quite tempted. What do ppl thi

I want to go to Queensland (Gold Coast) because that's where my auntie and uncle live and I just love it there! been there twice, the second time we travelled the whole country and still liked the Gold Coast the best so we've defo made our minds up! now its just getting in. I'll probably just do it alone because there are so many people helping on here and my uncle said he'd help too. I got the feeling I knew more than her on the phone anyway lol I was asking loads of questions and she was like 'erm...let me just check' lol

It's all just so confusing though and it really is tempting to just get someone else to do it for me. Kinda got the feeling she just wanted my money though and probably couldn't offer me anything extra than what I could get on here for free.

I was thinking, because the visas are taking like 18-24 months to process, could I apply for my visa and then, whilst waiting for it to come through, get a WHV so that I could just get out there and start finding jobs and getting a place because if we leave it any longer my parents are soooo gonna kick us out!! lol

Can primary teachers teach on a WHV?
How much are they?
Does my (will be husband by then) need a seperate WHV or are we both on the same one?

...I know lots of questions, sorry lol. Hope u can help tho

bev xxx
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really nice

We were sponsored by DETWA on the 457, so the visa was granted within 2 weeks. We opened the bank account with westpac while still in the UK, and just had to finalise it once we arrived in Perth. As for the tax file number, it took all of 10 minutes at the tax office, and I think you have to actually be in Oz before you can do that, so absolutely not worth paying anyone to do that for you. Saying that though, people have found it good to use an agent cos the agent tells you exactly what and what info you need to provide at what date etc, so if you'd prefer not to deal with that side of things then defo go for it, but I personally think anyone can do it alone, and like Derek said, no-one can guarantee you a visa except immigration themselves!
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

derekgoforth is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont know much about queensland but i know the difference, (time wise) between being sponsored and not being sponsored in WA is massive. have you contacted anyone in the teaching department to find out if they do any sort of sponsorship.

the working holiday visa things sounds good, i have a friend who did that, made loads of contacts and ended up being sponsored by a large private school, so it can be done
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 5:12 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I wouldnt touch it with a bargepole, you have no need to fork out so much money when you have all of us to help you! Walk away and save your hard earned cash for when you end up in Oz chick xo
Old May 1st 2009, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Bazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Personally I wouldnt touch it with a bargepole, you have no need to fork out so much money when you have all of us to help you! Walk away and save your hard earned cash for when you end up in Oz chick xo
ditto that. Migration Agents are useful for advice, but not worth the astronomical sums they charge to post off your hard work of info gathering.
Old May 1st 2009, 1:40 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bazza Boy
ditto that. Migration Agents are useful for advice, but not worth the astronomical sums they charge to post off your hard work of info gathering.
Old May 4th 2009, 7:03 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

absolutely agree with above! The paperwork is not that difficult - it's just time consuming and sometimes frustrating!

I would head over on a WHV, get some experience here (of work as well as lifestyle etc) then transfer to a longer term visa - particularly if you have managed to find a sponsor by then.

I would also add that jobs can be very hard to come by on the Gold Coast. There are shorter term contracts (try Ed Qld, Tracer Qld and Cath Ed Qld sites) but not a lot of permanent or long term work and quite a few teachers looking for jobs. Nevertheless, being here and getting your foot in the door (as they say) will help.

Plus, I think the WHV is cheaper than the other visas and usually processed pretty quickly.

Good luck!