Finally coming to Oz

Old Feb 13th 2009, 11:21 am
Just Joined

minnie6186 is on a distinguished road
Default Finally coming to Oz

Hello everyone,

Dreamt of living in Oz for many years and my dream is finally coming true. I start teaching in WA Jan 2010, 457 visa. I'm a lone parent and will be moving there with my three children (16, 11, 9) a very daunting thought, no family/friend support, but if I don't go I will always regret it. Any advice would be greatly received.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 10:03 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally coming to Oz

Originally Posted by minnie6186
Hello everyone,

Dreamt of living in Oz for many years and my dream is finally coming true. I start teaching in WA Jan 2010, 457 visa. I'm a lone parent and will be moving there with my three children (16, 11, 9) a very daunting thought, no family/friend support, but if I don't go I will always regret it. Any advice would be greatly received.
Hi Minnie, have they told you which school you're going to, or won't you know til you get there? If you do know the school you'll be going to, did you have any element of choice or?
Old Feb 14th 2009, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Hi Minnie, have they told you which school you're going to, or won't you know til you get there? If you do know the school you'll be going to, did you have any element of choice or?
Hi Jen, they say I wont be told until I get there but teaching friends that have just left were emailed their school and house details before leaving Scotland in January 2009. The only element of choice was rural or remote placement and as I have a family I chose rural.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 1:06 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jen, they say I wont be told until I get there but teaching friends that have just left were emailed their school and house details before leaving Scotland in January 2009. The only element of choice was rural or remote placement and as I have a family I chose rural.
Okies....I like your Westie, though of course mine's nicer, tee hee jokin lol
Old Feb 14th 2009, 1:59 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,

Fantastic! You'll get lots of support from Gems and WS who post on here and apart from being very knowledegable, they are very nice as well.

I reckon you need to go with an open mind and enjoy the experience.

Cooler
Old Feb 14th 2009, 3:02 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
Fantastic! You'll get lots of support from Gems and WS who post on here and apart from being very knowledegable, they are very nice as well.

I reckon you need to go with an open mind and enjoy the experience.

Cooler
Here here!
Old Feb 14th 2009, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Here here!
Thanks Cooler much appreciated :-)

Jen would have to disagree Wee fergus is nicer lol (only kidding)
visit www.oorweewesties.co.uk and have a look I think it will make you smile
Old Feb 14th 2009, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

derekgoforth is an unknown quantity at this point

hi minnie, if u r on facebook- sponsored WA teachers July 09 Jan 10

we are a group of teachers going out on the same visa as you, come and join us
Old Feb 14th 2009, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by derekgoforth
hi minnie, if u r on facebook- sponsored WA teachers July 09 Jan 10

we are a group of teachers going out on the same visa as you, come and join us
Hi Derekgoforth, not on facebook but will be very very shortly, join you all soon and thanks :-)
Old Feb 14th 2009, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Herds2Oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

We are also going on 457 - Jan 2010 primary school - good to know about facebook.

Yours aye
Herds2Oz
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Minnie

We are on the scheme(nearly 2 years), I have children around the same age as you.
My 16 year old is loving Australia and is doing very well doing his TEE (similar to A levels).

Anything you want to ask just give me a pm. eg schooling for your kids, whats available for 16 year olds.

Gems
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gems
Hello Minnie

We are on the scheme(nearly 2 years), I have children around the same age as you.
My 16 year old is loving Australia and is doing very well doing his TEE (similar to A levels).

Anything you want to ask just give me a pm. eg schooling for your kids, whats available for 16 year olds.

Gems
Gems you are a star :-)
will pm later just going to golf with the kids
Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:32 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Hello Minnie

Gems
How are you finding the scheme Gems, did you choose the 457 route because it was quicker than the 175? I'm a primary school teacher of 9 years but have applied for the 175 visa....would consider 457 if things didn't work out though.....
Old Feb 16th 2009, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

The 457 scheme is not for everyone. But for us we felt it was easier and yes quicker way to get to Australia. Well back when we came it was 8 wks from enquiring to landing in Perth. However its not quite that fast now. We got hotel on arrival in Perth and job and housing before we landed.
This made life way less stressful with kids in tow.

We are coming to the end of our 457 and will be doing the PR visa with education department. For us its been good and worked out great.
Hubby is in good school, and will get permanent teacher status on our PR visa.

Initially we could have gone for our own PR, but as had no support in Australia and never visited!
We felt having DET support and help was super.

Also know a guy on the scheme (Primary) who has just got acting headteacher. You can rise up the ranks quicker than UK if you want more of a managerial role.

However have to stress you will not be put in Perth, and are allocated a town. You cant just say I want Joondalup or Bunbury!

Gems
Old Feb 16th 2009, 5:10 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Hello,

The 457 scheme is not for everyone. But for us we felt it was easier and yes quicker way to get to Australia. Well back when we came it was 8 wks from enquiring to landing in Perth. However its not quite that fast now. We got hotel on arrival in Perth and job and housing before we landed.
This made life way less stressful with kids in tow.

We are coming to the end of our 457 and will be doing the PR visa with education department. For us its been good and worked out great.
Hubby is in good school, and will get permanent teacher status on our PR visa.

Initially we could have gone for our own PR, but as had no support in Australia and never visited!
We felt having DET support and help was super.

Also know a guy on the scheme (Primary) who has just got acting headteacher. You can rise up the ranks quicker than UK if you want more of a managerial role.

However have to stress you will not be put in Perth, and are allocated a town. You cant just say I want Joondalup or Bunbury!

Gems
You could get Mandurah, 2 of us have been put down here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.