Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

English teaching in Toulouse

English teaching in Toulouse

Old Sep 17th 2011, 6:32 am
Just Joined

brunogatz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English teaching in Toulouse

Found Britishexpats from a thread posted by dennerleymum, now closed.

I am currently finishing my TEFL in France, where I live, but it looks like I will havr tpo go to Asia to work. Agencies pay 10€ an hour, minimum wage here is 9E and it's an expensive country to live in. A beginner in TEFL teaching spends I hr preparing a class, add I hr travelling and you are working for 3€+ per hr

Starting self employed, at 20€ per hr teaching 1-1 you are still not making the minimum wage. Students learn best in groups of 4-5, at 40€ per hour you are starting to make a living and at 50€ per hr starting to pay a bit of tax. With 8 students in a class at 80€ per hour you have a flourishing business. Then why are the agencies only paying 10€, when the demand for English teachers is amongst the highest in the world?

In Thailand the bottom of the rung is 10€ per hour, but with experience it's easy to get 13-14€; and the cost of living is a lot cheaper, so you can pay your rent and even put a bit of money in the bank. But Thailand has a superfluity of English teachers, so guess it's China or South America.

Can anyone tell me any way I can get my classroom experience here in France, and still feed myself?

Lester