Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

English teaching in France

English teaching in France

Old Feb 29th 2012, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Jackzab is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English teaching in France

Could anyone give me their views on English teaching in France, i.e. is CELTA enough for teaching or would I have to get extra qualifications, and how bad is the bureacracy for work permits? thanks for any information...
jack
Old Apr 21st 2012, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Vanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really nice
Default Re: English teaching in France

Hello, I taught in France for a while. The French are a law unto themselves, I am afraid, and it is VERY difficult to get one's qualifications recognised, even EEC or British qualifications. They insist on re-training. The only option is to get work in a Catholic or other private school, or yo come to some 'informal arrangement' with a local school to give extra lessons. There are sometime ways around it, but it depends on the local authorities and whom you know, I am afraid.
Vanya
Old Apr 21st 2012, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Jackzab is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you!
Old Apr 21st 2012, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Vanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really nice

You are welcome!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Sun101 is an unknown quantity at this point

No work permits if you are an EU citizen.

A CELTA is a basic, experience and extra qualifications are better.

Working for the state sector is a no-goer im sorry to say.
Vanya has the right idea.
Private Schools, informal teaching, private teaching to students et al.

You may be better of in Italy or Spain as far as the number of jobs go, but bare in mind both countries have very strong competition for jobs due to the number of teachers who live there. Poland also has quite strong demand for English tutors, and according to your location you already live there.