Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

English Teacher - Dependent Visa Worries.

English Teacher - Dependent Visa Worries.

Old Sep 24th 2011, 9:41 am
Just Joined

dghjarrett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English Teacher - Dependent Visa Worries.

Hi all,

I am an English teacher (British National) currently applying for jobs in China / Hong Kong. I am married to an Italian citizen and I wanted to ask what the VISA rules are for her. If I applied for a job and received an offer of work, I presume she would be allowed to enter the country and live with me as a dependent?

Does this mean she can also look and apply for work on a dependent VISA or not?? If not, how easy is it for her to change her VISA in-country?

Thanks for your help,

Daniel Jarrett
Old Sep 24th 2011, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

khitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nice
Default Re: English Teacher - Dependent Visa Worries.

Originally Posted by dghjarrett
Hi all,

I am an English teacher (British National) currently applying for jobs in China / Hong Kong. I am married to an Italian citizen and I wanted to ask what the VISA rules are for her. If I applied for a job and received an offer of work, I presume she would be allowed to enter the country and live with me as a dependent?

Does this mean she can also look and apply for work on a dependent VISA or not?? If not, how easy is it for her to change her VISA in-country?

Thanks for your help,

Daniel Jarrett
Daniel,

I would suspect that if she came into the country as a dependent, she could apply for jobs and go for interviews but if she needed to work she would have to change her visa. Whether you can do that in China I have no idea unfortunately. If you cannot all it would take is for her to leave the country, get the visa and return. You can ring Regent Visa in London and see if they know. http://regentvisas.com/