British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/)
-   -   Doing a PGCE outside of Britain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/doing-pgce-outside-britain-542628/)

MrB Dec 18th 2009 8:27 am

Re: Doing a PGCE outside of Britain

I have no idea, I'm still thinking about whether to do it in January or Setpember. Regarding potential jobs from it, I assume the hiring period for international schools is around September. So how would that work? If you did it in January, unless a school was in dire straits, you may have to wait until September 2011 anyway.

Will you be working at the same time? I am thinking of doing it online from Japan, and then my tp in a 12 week teaching block when my contract ends. But it might be difficult to complete from here, without textbooks/support etc, I have heard it is very demanding. I asked PGCEi this but go not reply.

Anyway, I just pm'd you!

spanishdancer Dec 18th 2009 8:53 am

I have one more post until I can PM. I have looked at the TES and many international schools are recruiting deadline January to start in September. I live in Spain and write content for websites but I have done TEFL in the past.

MsGiraffe Dec 29th 2009 11:36 am

I wonder if the OP considered doing the Spanish equivalent of a PGCE? It used to be called CAP and it lasted about 6 months, I didn't do it but the opinion from friends at the time was that it wasn't too hard at all, more like a formality they needed to fulfill before teaching. One or two years ago the CAP (Curso de Aptitud Pedagogica) changed to a Masters course, can't remember the title, but further details would be available on the website of the relevant university, under the 'estudios de tercer ciclo' area (post-grad).
I am assuming this is recognised in the UK because some teaching assistants who had completed their CAPs in Spain ended up working and living in Britain, but somewhere like the TDA would be able to advise.

I didn't go into teaching (it didn't suit me), but had some experience in classrooms in Spain and England, and the resources available (esp. technology), numbers, teaching methods and expectations were quite different - this was a few years back, so things will probably have moved on a bit.

Hope you find this useful and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

whyohwhy Jan 27th 2010 8:50 am

One of my family members is already doing this course... what did you want to know and I'll ask for you...

spanishdancer Jan 28th 2010 7:00 pm

I have loads of questions but the most important ones are:

Is the course well organised?

Do they feel concerned that it does not give you QTS?

What do they think of the cost of the course?

whyohwhy Jan 28th 2010 7:05 pm

Ok. Are you going to do primary or secondary? What subject?

spanishdancer Jan 28th 2010 7:12 pm

primary

Retiro Rollerblader Jan 29th 2010 4:51 pm

I feel I could have written this posting myself. I have exactly the same misgivings. The very straightforward questions I ask are not answered. The timetable for Feb 2010 came out so late that I now have conflicting commitments and can't decide what to do. I have lots of other questions that no one is prepared to answer such as the QTS question, the need for GCSE level Science if you are doing Primary, location of school where TP and other meetings will take place. And above all, I probably won't stay in Spain so will this qualification travel.

farthing Feb 7th 2010 4:19 pm

I wouldn't recommend the PGCE Spain option for anyone. This is simply a money making operation for a private school in Spain. Avoid:thumbdown:

spanishdancer Feb 7th 2010 6:06 pm

That is what I am fearing farthing, do you know anyone who has had experience of the course and the people associated?

laisaway Feb 25th 2010 2:19 pm

Please keep up this conversation as I am following it with interest. I am also thinking of doing the PGCE. I've found out it's a PGCEi (i for international) that does not give QTS status and cannot be used in UK. It is delivered in Valencia in conjunction with university of Nottingham, who have similar arrangements with Thailand and other places. I'd been keen to get feedback on the course though, and employment possibilities afterwards. I am intending to teach in Spain.

kinbcn Mar 26th 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Doing a PGCE outside of Britain -Spain

HELP! I am in exactly the same position. I have applied to do the PGCE Spain course, but I also feel it is badly organised and am having difficulty getting straight answers.
Regarding the QTS, I think it would be possible to gain this in Britain, we would have 4 years during which we'd need to teach for a year in UK in order to gain the QTS.
A lot of the international schools require the QTS but some may be willing to waver this in preference for experience and or someone who already lives here in Spain. Is there anyone out there who is actually doing this course, or has done it?

laisaway Mar 26th 2010 9:33 pm

I rang Uni of Nottingham to get more info. She said it is not a full PGCE course. It does not cover all the content requirements and is not as rigorous in entry requirements. That is why you cannot get QTS. It would not be recognised if you are in UK and you would have to do a PGCE again in UK to be able to go for QTS. However, she did say that int. schools in Spain accept it (I'm sure she would say that) though I think they would rather have someone with the full qualification and QTS. Has anyone done the course? If you are planning to do the course, ring Valencia and ask for numbers or emails of ex-students.

spanishdancer Mar 27th 2010 8:34 am

It is a risky option, I will not be doing it.

kinbcn Mar 27th 2010 2:17 pm

oh flip, so you mean I wouldn't be able to apply for the QTS based on this qualification? Now I don't know what to do, I guess if I ever did want to teach in the UK I could do one of the school placement teacher qualifications. It's a lot of money eh?
I'm going to try and get hold of someone who's done and see if they've been able to find work with this qualification, is there any other way of studying PGCE on line?
Thanks guys this is really helping as I have lots of questions and doubts