Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Do you get sponsored to teach in Oz anymore?

Do you get sponsored to teach in Oz anymore?

Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

hilasbat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you get sponsored to teach in Oz anymore?

Hmm, not sure - I started teaching in London, which gets you about 1,5K more or something, and it was a while back - but looking at just 'normal' teacher rates - out of London the max is £30K now, you can't go through threashold if you don't want to give you life completely over to work, as you will get put on capablilities if you don't do whatever SMT ask of you (ie you will never teach again), or at least its been that way in the last 3 primaries I've been in (I know thats not the way it's meant to be, but the way its meant to be and the way it is are two very different things - there are still loads of people I know not getting PPA even though its law now).

But its not about £ vs equivilant £ after exchaged from $, imho, as you are earning $ and spending $ - imho its just about if you feel valued or not. For a 60 hour week I don't feel valued at 30K (before tax I hasten to add lol), at $85K (eventually) I do.....(Don't know about QLD, I'm going to SA and looking at what my wages should be with my experience, I'll be a happier bunny - I know I can only speak for me though, the next person might be appalled at it all).
Old Apr 26th 2011, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

With things as they are throughout the world on the financial front right now, I think we are better off in Australia. The pay for teachers isn't brilliant, but if you are looking for a big income, teaching is never going to work for you wherever you teach. Just to be employed at the moment in any form is a plus in itself I think, whether it be contract or permanent. Not that permanent means much these days as we all know people who thought they were secure in a permanent position, albeit government or private, who have suddenly found they have been made redundant. Was back in UK in Jan after a year in WA and was quite shocked at the changes in that short time frame. Being a migrant is a risk in itself, and very few migrants have jobs before they arrive in Australia unless they have a sponsoring employer. So paul_g if you are really not wanting to leave UK and come to Oz without having secured employment first, my advice would be to seriously re-think your situation until the current financial climate has improved. Do you actually have a visa granted or are you still "in process"? If you have a visa grant already, it might be worth coming on a validation visit and applying for jobs whilst you are here. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
The problem is that teachers aren't really required as there are alot already in Australia without positions. The system is that you register with the State you are in and they place you in a school and you accumulate points which you can then use to work in your desired area. It is generally the outback schools that actually need teachers so that is where you serve your time first. It is the same , I believe, for training doctors; they have to work/train in a remote environment for a while. The catholic sector doesn't work the same way but you do need to provide evidence you are a practising catholic.
No you don't. It helps, but simply isn't an automatic no if you're not Catholic.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 11:33 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
No you don't. It helps, but simply isn't an automatic no if you're not Catholic.
I've had a few rejections because I don't have a Catholic spiritual referee. The forms require you provide a contact details for one. Any ideas how to get around this would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a few rejections because I don't have a Catholic spiritual referee. The forms require you provide a contact details for one. Any ideas how to get around this would be greatly appreciated.
Get to know someone at your local Catholic Church. Go to mass a few times they're friendly folk.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

hilasbat is an unknown quantity at this point

Did they all specifically say it was because you didn't have a spiritual reference?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 3:12 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hilasbat
Did they all specifically say it was because you didn't have a spiritual reference?
It was when I filled out the 'teaching in the diocese' form and left the 'spiritual referee' section blank. I called up to ask (I think 3 positions) and they all said without a priest's reference I could not be considered.