Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Do you get sponsored to teach in Oz anymore?

Do you get sponsored to teach in Oz anymore?

Old Apr 18th 2011, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you get sponsored to teach in Oz anymore?

Originally Posted by Gems
Totally agree hubby has older teachers in his school and they have no intention of retiring. In fact the older teachers here have told Hubby that you dont retire early. The Aussie teachers keep working but may be go part time when your 65+ E.g work 3 day week so they have more time for fishing or long weekends away. Even the teachers in their early 50s say this is their long term plan.

Gems
At our local school we don't have any older Teachers, nor do they hold onto the younger teachers for very long. Would suppose it would depend on where you're placed and what kind of children frequent the school. Generally it's get in do your time and get out to somewhere else as soon as you can
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

poppyandpeanut is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
At our local school we don't have any older Teachers, nor do they hold onto the younger teachers for very long. Would suppose it would depend on where you're placed and what kind of children frequent the school. Generally it's get in do your time and get out to somewhere else as soon as you can

I can empathise with that Aussie bound.

I cant actually think of what some schools could offer teachers to get them to stick around a bit longer, free housing? more pay? better working hours?
not sure any of these would work to be honest.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 8:55 am
Just Joined

paul_g is an unknown quantity at this point

Can someone please explain this to me, because i am confused.

I am a uk teacher, secondary qualified to teach philosophy / religious education. Have been teaching 3 years in a top uk 6th form college.
Im looking to emmigrate in the next year, maybe perth/ melbourne / gold coast.

Now, if i am a doctor, bricklayer or even hairdresser i can apply for any job thats available and go.

If i am a teacher, it appears that - A, i might not exist on the states 'skills' list any more. B, if i do get a visa i will have to go and 'serve my time' in the bush??
Does this only apply to teaching? And if so isn't this discrimination?

I basically wish to secure a post from home BEFORE quitting my job, leaving my home and loved ones and moving to the other side of the world - and live in an area of choice.

If i apply to jobs on the net that are being advertised in private / catholic schools - if they accept - is it as straightforward as them sponsoring me and i go?

Thanks
Paul
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 9:29 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul_g
Can someone please explain this to me, because i am confused.
I am a uk teacher, secondary qualified to teach philosophy / religious education. Have been teaching 3 years in a top uk 6th form college.
Im looking to emmigrate in the next year, maybe perth/ melbourne / gold coast.
Now, if i am a doctor, bricklayer or even hairdresser i can apply for any job thats available and go.
If i am a teacher, it appears that - A, i might not exist on the states 'skills' list any more. B, if i do get a visa i will have to go and 'serve my time' in the bush??
Does this only apply to teaching? And if so isn't this discrimination?
I basically wish to secure a post from home BEFORE quitting my job, leaving my home and loved ones and moving to the other side of the world - and live in an area of choice.
If i apply to jobs on the net that are being advertised in private / catholic schools - if they accept - is it as straightforward as them sponsoring me and i go?

Thanks

Paul
The problem is that teachers aren't really required as there are alot already in Australia without positions. The system is that you register with the State you are in and they place you in a school and you accumulate points which you can then use to work in your desired area. It is generally the outback schools that actually need teachers so that is where you serve your time first. It is the same , I believe, for training doctors; they have to work/train in a remote environment for a while. The catholic sector doesn't work the same way but you do need to provide evidence you are a practising catholic.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for your reply.
The thing is i am not a 'training' teacher i am qualified and experienced. It seems absurd that one should have to go elsewhere first - what other profession would this be asked of?
With you mentioning the catholic sector - if i could prove that i am practising etc could i secure a post with a catholic school without this difficulty?
thanks
paul
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:44 pm

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is i am not a 'training' teacher i am qualified and experienced. It seems absurd that one should have to go elsewhere first - what other profession would this be asked of?
With you mentioning the catholic sector - if i could prove that i am practising etc could i secure a post with a catholic school without this difficulty?
thanks
paul
It's a supply/demand thing. Australia used to only train teachers on the four year degree and then they offered a ten month grad diploma. Now there are plenty of teachers with no work. You can try and contact Catholic schools and you might get lucky.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 12:12 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
paul
If you want to secure a job before you arrive, I would think that would have to be in the independent sector and not state. I'm in SA and I have no met a teacher in the state stector who has a permanent contract. The system here is quite complex and you are not even allowed to apply for jobs in the state system unless you meet certain criteria.

My advice is to go to the independent sector or the Catholic system. I know some one that is not Catholic but is working at a 'top' Catholic school as they worked previously in a Catholic school in the UK

Cooler
Old Apr 24th 2011, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppyandpeanut
I can empathise with that Aussie bound.

I cant actually think of what some schools could offer teachers to get them to stick around a bit longer, free housing? more pay? better working hours?
not sure any of these would work to be honest.
Totally agree with you PoppyandPeanut. Good luck with your new position in Geraldton.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
paul
Unfortunately there are many more teachers in Aus than there are positions, especially in the government sector. So if you are wanting to gain a position before you arrive in Australia, take heed of the advice on here
about the private/catholic sector.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, both of you.
So from what i think you are saying - if i am a practising catholic and work at a catholic school then i have a good chance of securing a job at a catholic independent school - without doing 'my time' in the sticks for the government? I am still shocked that this actually happens. Surprised there are many people wanting to teach if this is the case.
Thanks again
Paul
Old Apr 24th 2011, 8:49 pm

Thanks, both of you.
So from what i think you are saying - if i am a practising catholic and work at a catholic school then i have a good chance of securing a job at a catholic independent school - without doing 'my time' in the sticks for the government? I am still shocked that this actually happens. Surprised there are many people wanting to teach if this is the case.
Thanks again
Paul
Personally I think you would be lucky to get a reply from a Catholic or independent school but what have you got to lose if you try. You still need to have Queensland state registration to teach Catholic here although that could be done later. Unless you are involved in mining, contrary to public opinion, Australia is not filled with job vacancies and teachers have no choice. It's still low pay and hard work as well!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

poppyandpeanut is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Personally I think you would be lucky to get a reply from a Catholic or independent school but what have you got to lose if you try. You still need to have Queensland state registration to teach Catholic here although that could be done later. Unless you are involved in mining, contrary to public opinion, Australia is not filled with job vacancies and teachers have no choice. It's still low pay and hard work as well!
gotta agree with the low pay and hard work part!!!! lol
Old Apr 25th 2011, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

getting harder in uk though - salary increase not reflecting rate of inflation, longer hours, bigger class sizes, now they are upping the retirement age and making us pay more for it! Guess teachers are not looked very fondly upon in many countries - its funny but the guys who make these decisions wouldn't be where they are today without us bloody teachers.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

hilasbat is an unknown quantity at this point

getting harder in uk though - salary increase not reflecting rate of inflation, longer hours, bigger class sizes, now they are upping the retirement age and making us pay more for it! Guess teachers are not looked very fondly upon in many countries - its funny but the guys who make these decisions wouldn't be where they are today without us bloody teachers.
What salary increase? Its been frozen for the next few years = a pay cut in real terms due to inflation, alongside our pension payment increase (and a decrease in the amount we will actually get out in the end (if any)).

Poppy - the pay is better in Australia than the UK though, I know the cost of living is higher, but still, you seem to get more on the 'normal teacher' payscale in all states in Australia than you do here in the UK now...
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by hilasbat
What salary increase? Its been frozen for the next few years = a pay cut in real terms due to inflation, alongside our pension payment increase (and a decrease in the amount we will actually get out in the end (if any)).

Poppy - the pay is better in Australia than the UK though, I know the cost of living is higher, but still, you seem to get more on the 'normal teacher' payscale in all states in Australia than you do here in the UK now...
Qld teachers starting out get $47,000 (when they can actually find employment!)- which equates to around 18,800 quid when you factor in the living costs (at 2.5) It's very low comparatively in Oz. I'm not sure what UK teachers start on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.