British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/)
-   -   Do you get sponsored to teach in Oz anymore? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/do-you-get-sponsored-teach-oz-anymore-703742/)

smithyrocks Feb 4th 2011 6:24 am

Do you get sponsored to teach in Oz anymore?

I teach secondary English and wondered if this was possible to speed up your visa application. If so, which areas normally offer this or does it depend on the specific school?

quoll Feb 5th 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Do you get sponsored to teach in Oz anymore?

Dont think you will find sponsorship anywhere for a secondary English teacher, plenty of those around to fill any vacancies here I should think unless, as I have said in answer to your query on another post, you are prepared to go to the back of beyond. Even then, I dont think you will find sponsorship in this climate.

Gems Feb 6th 2011 3:17 am

WA stopped their sponsorship a while ago.
However it has been around a couple of times. So it may come back in the future should a shortage appear again.

However as Quoll has said very unlikely at the moment. No real shortage unless your Science.

Gems

poppyandpeanut Feb 23rd 2011 12:18 am

there is still a shortage in all subjects, it just depends where u r willing to go. Also lots of private schools are still looking to sponsor teachers in all subjects. Send out some c.v's to some of the privatly run school in rural and remote areas, you should have some sort of response from them

Gems Feb 23rd 2011 7:46 am

Please, please ensure you check out what rural or remote areas you are willing to go too.

I live rural and have also lived in a remote town for 6months. Many UK families find it a bit of a shock and have seen teachers uproot their family and hate it. Some only lasted a few weeks and went back home.

Its huge distances in Australia and rural can be very different to what you have back in the UK. You would really need to think hard to accept a remote posting.

Im in a large rural town, but its still nearly 5hours to the city. We love it, but be careful and make sure you have checked everything out first.

Gems

poppyandpeanut Mar 2nd 2011 1:22 am

I think it goes without saying that you should think before accepting any job, whether its rural , remote or in the city. they way a lot of aussies view remote and rural jobs is that it is a means to an end. That is , they will do a committment to the rural post to earn the 'right' to teach where they choose. Its a good way of doing things if you are willing to 'rough it' for a few years in order to teach in a place that you would consider your dream area.

Dont believe that there are no teaching jobs in WA, there are in all areas- if you are willing to 'rough it' for a while

smithyrocks Mar 2nd 2011 6:09 am

This is something I would really consider. The idea of teaching somewhere with a smaller community really appeals as it would give me a chance to settle in and I think the idea of paying your dues to the country makes sense. I'd be interested to know what people think the pros/ cons are of living in a very rurual area and also how did they go about finding out which schools/ states were interested in sponsorship. Thanks, this is all really informative.:D

smithyrocks Mar 2nd 2011 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Gems (Post 9195731)
Please, please ensure you check out what rural or remote areas you are willing to go too.

I live rural and have also lived in a remote town for 6months. Many UK families find it a bit of a shock and have seen teachers uproot their family and hate it. Some only lasted a few weeks and went back home.

Its huge distances in Australia and rural can be very different to what you have back in the UK. You would really need to think hard to accept a remote posting.

Im in a large rural town, but its still nearly 5hours to the city. We love it, but be careful and make sure you have checked everything out first.

Gems

Hi Gems,

I know this will sound daft, but do you find that the town has most of the facilities you need? Whereas the idea of living in a remote area appeals to me, I'm aware I need to consider my son (six) but presumably if the town had enough facilities it wouldn't be an issue. Did you find that a remote area meant a greater sense of community or that it was harder to fit in?

Also (sorry for all the questions), when you are sponsored, do you state how long you will stay e.g. two years or is it like a temporary rolling contract? I am looking to move to Oz permanently (or at least to have that option), I wouldn't want to go for a couple of years, love it, then have to return for Visa reason.

Thanks again.:D

smithyrocks Mar 2nd 2011 6:14 am

Originally Posted by poppyandpeanut (Post 9195196)
there is still a shortage in all subjects, it just depends where u r willing to go. Also lots of private schools are still looking to sponsor teachers in all subjects. Send out some c.v's to some of the privatly run school in rural and remote areas, you should have some sort of response from them

Is there an easy way of locating these? I have no idea where to start at the moment.:D

poppyandpeanut Mar 2nd 2011 10:10 am

independant schools of western australia has its own website, best to start there I guess. just google schools in various regions and see what comes up

Australia_bound? Mar 2nd 2011 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by smithyrocks (Post 9212249)
Hi Gems,

I know this will sound daft, but do you find that the town has most of the facilities you need? Whereas the idea of living in a remote area appeals to me, I'm aware I need to consider my son (six) but presumably if the town had enough facilities it wouldn't be an issue. Did you find that a remote area meant a greater sense of community or that it was harder to fit in?

Also (sorry for all the questions), when you are sponsored, do you state how long you will stay e.g. two years or is it like a temporary rolling contract? I am looking to move to Oz permanently (or at least to have that option), I wouldn't want to go for a couple of years, love it, then have to return for Visa reason.

Thanks again.:D

Gems lives in Gero as far as I know, it has all the mod cons.Gero is quite a major town and people usually don't get posted there for rural positions.

We live in a mining town that was built in the early 70's and nothing has been updated since then. Not much here for kids bar a few parks, beaches & an open air cinema that is run at certain time of the year. We also get a range of winter sports that are run, as way too hot during the summer to do much, usually high 30c's to mid 40c's. For community feeling, I find the transient nature of the town we live in makes it hard to form real friendships as people seem to move on to a nicer part of WA at the first chance they get.

WA only sponsor for PR visa now, as they can't do the 457 route any more. I don't believe they're currently running the scheme, but it may come up again at a future point. Looking back would have stayed in the UK for a year more and got own visa and had greater choice in where I live, as 3 years is a very long time.

poppyandpeanut Mar 3rd 2011 1:25 am

Australia_Bound is right about some of the towns you could end up working in, very run down, lack of facilities and not that good for the kids. It would only be for a couple of years though, once you do your commitment to the department you are free to move where you want. So its like i said before, if you are willing to rough it, its a good option

smithyrocks Mar 3rd 2011 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by poppyandpeanut (Post 9214485)
Australia_Bound is right about some of the towns you could end up working in, very run down, lack of facilities and not that good for the kids. It would only be for a couple of years though, once you do your commitment to the department you are free to move where you want. So its like i said before, if you are willing to rough it, its a good option

It seems as though the choice is between doing that for a few years or staying here for a couple and applying. How does sponsorship work excatly?

Australia_bound? Mar 4th 2011 10:41 am

Originally Posted by smithyrocks (Post 9216411)
It seems as though the choice is between doing that for a few years or staying here for a couple and applying. How does sponsorship work excatly?

Have you got a state you can apply to for sponsorship? If not you could be sat round for a few years waiting for one of the states to start seek to sponsor Teachers.
Couple of years in some back water town is a very long time. Has been very unpleasant for some of the people who've come out here.

Would take you around a year to get your own visa, think it was around a year to get out here sponsored from start to finish, at one point the whole scheme was cancelled and we were left in limbo. It won't happen overnight.

On your own visa you can apply to schools where you decide to live/do relief work and find a way in. Sponsored you go where they tell you and you get very little notice of exactly where you're going.
Not exactly sure what you mean by how does sponsorship work? As it's more or less a contract where you're tied to work for the state for 3 years.

You'll get a GROH house and if you're like us you'll have no choice but live there as $1000+ a week to get a private rental is a bit steep.

From experience getting your own visa and looking at where you'd want to live is a better option, rather than putting it in the hands of the state who'll send you to where there's a shortage of people wanting to live & work there.

smithyrocks Mar 5th 2011 2:41 pm

Austrailia_Bound,

Some really interestesting things to consider, thanks. I was just frustrated from previous posts about the idea of having to wait two years for a perm visa and thought I 'd rather at least be in Oz for two years.

There is so much to consider, at the moment I'm not aware of any states offering sponsorship, I was just looking at options. I think we're going to look at starting the Visa process now.

Can I also ask (off topic a bit now but assuming from previous posts somebody could answer), how did people go about getting mortgages? I think (if visa all ok etc) we'd rent at first to check we were happy with area and then buy once we'd been there a bit.

Also- if people have struggled to get teaching jobs when they first went over, what did you do while waiting to get one? Were you able to find a different job to tide you over? Thanks again for all the responses, really helpful as there is so much to consider.