Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Do I have the right qualifications?

Do I have the right qualifications?

Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Wolfette_194 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I have the right qualifications?

Hi,
I am looking to move to Australia in 2013 to be with my partner as they cannot get a visa for the UK.
I have just graduated with a 4 year BA honours degree in PE, however I did not do a PGCE, my degree was over the 4 years and included the QTS. I am due to start my NQT year in September and move to Australia after this.
I have heard that I will struggle to have my qualifications recognised because of the way I have done it? Is this for all schools or just state schools?
I will be looking to move to NSW.

I hope someone can shed some light on this for me, as I don't know what I will do if I cannot teach over there! Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old Jul 6th 2012, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

PrestonJim has a brilliant futurePrestonJim has a brilliant futurePrestonJim has a brilliant futurePrestonJim has a brilliant futurePrestonJim has a brilliant futurePrestonJim has a brilliant futurePrestonJim has a brilliant future
Default Re: Do I have the right qualifications?

The best place to look is AITSL website. If you have QTS then I assume 1 year of your degree was teacher training. You will need to have completed at leasr 45 days teaching practice. Good luck!
Old Jul 7th 2012, 9:52 am
Banned

Marc Golland is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi friends,
I have done MCA from UPTU lucknow .I am a software engineer of the java language .Now in the present time,i am working in the 'ADARSHAM WEB SOLUTIONS '. Now it is a software company and working in the many place within the india.
Thanks for sharing the information.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wolfette_194
Hi,
I am looking to move to Australia in 2013 to be with my partner as they cannot get a visa for the UK.
I have just graduated with a 4 year BA honours degree in PE, however I did not do a PGCE, my degree was over the 4 years and included the QTS. I am due to start my NQT year in September and move to Australia after this.
I have heard that I will struggle to have my qualifications recognised because of the way I have done it? Is this for all schools or just state schools?
I will be looking to move to NSW.

I hope someone can shed some light on this for me, as I don't know what I will do if I cannot teach over there! Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
You have a BA, but did it include teaching training or did you go the GTP route? GTP is not recognised out of UK, but if your BA had at least one year's teacher training included, you should be OK. You would be best advised to check with the Teacher Registration bodies though.