Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Dip Ed in Oz - Options afterwards

Dip Ed in Oz - Options afterwards

Old Sep 1st 2007, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Muncles will become famous soon enoughMuncles will become famous soon enough
Default Dip Ed in Oz - Options afterwards

Hi there,

I did a GTP so have to get a qualification that's recognised in Oz.

I have the funds to go and do the Dip Ed there and I've been teaching in UK for 2 years as qualified teacher.

What I'd like to know is what visa options (if any) are open to me after finishing the Dip Ed. I'd like to get a years teaching under my belt in Oz before applying for PR but I became rather confused after looking at dimia as to what option is open to me.

Can someone help?

I've looked but it seems I would have to come back to UK and then apply here while in a teaching post. I'm reluctant to do this as to fund study I would be selling up as I can't hold onto house and have no income while studying.

Appreciate any advice.

muncles
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 2:11 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dip Ed in Oz - Options afterwards

If you are looking at returning to the UK to get a teaching job in order to return to Australia (phew, that was a mouthful!!) perhaps it woud be better to do the postgrad teaching qual in the UK? I know it's tempting to want to get to the country of choice ASAP and the lure of the student visa is pretty strong, but it is a lot of money and there's no other financial support whilst you are studying. At least complete the postgrad teaching in the UK, get QTS (not sure if you said you had that??) and then you should be okay for the visa all the other seem to be getting (hopefully they will correct me if there's more to it). It puts off your coming over here by a couple years, but at least you'll be coming over for good then, without the threat of having to go back to come back etc.

Have you looked into the visa incentives for settling in a rural area? I have a feeling they apply to studying in rural areas as well so perhaps that is an option?