Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Degree and what I can teach....

Degree and what I can teach....

Old Jul 8th 2007, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Gina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Degree and what I can teach....

Hi just a quick question, I have looked on all the different web sites but just wanted clarification from someone.

I want to teach in Australia, and am about to start studying towards my degree and then go on to do teacher training when I have completed my degree.

I am looking at doing a BA English and Social sciences or Psycology degree, would this enable me to teach English and SOSE at secondary school level (provided I complete the necessary teacher training)?
I would be carrying out the main part of my studies in English literature and Language, and the minor part in social sciences.

Just wanted to check my degree would enable me to go on and do teacher training and then teach at secondary school level. Im almost sure it would but want to check, as I dont want to start a degree and then find out down the line that I could not go on and teach.

Many Thanks in advance for reading and replying to this post.

Gina
Old Jul 8th 2007, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Gina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Degree and what I can teach....

Another question ......

Are Open University degrees acceptable in Aus, I will be starting my studies here in the UK and then when we move out next year will be completing my studies from Australia with the UK open University.

My degree is called the Open Degree and enables me to pick and choose the courses I do. I would then receive a full transcript of all the courses.

And finally, I would be studying full time distance learning. If it takes me longer to complete my degree ie 4 or 5 years does this affect my ability to apply to be a teacher.
I have seen somewhere you have to have 4 years full time degree qualification.

I hope this makes sense ....... And thanks again for reading
Old Jul 8th 2007, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gina123
Hi just a quick question, I have looked on all the different web sites but just wanted clarification from someone.

I want to teach in Australia, and am about to start studying towards my degree and then go on to do teacher training when I have completed my degree.

I am looking at doing a BA English and Social sciences or Psycology degree, would this enable me to teach English and SOSE at secondary school level (provided I complete the necessary teacher training)?
I would be carrying out the main part of my studies in English literature and Language, and the minor part in social sciences.

Just wanted to check my degree would enable me to go on and do teacher training and then teach at secondary school level. Im almost sure it would but want to check, as I dont want to start a degree and then find out down the line that I could not go on and teach.

Many Thanks in advance for reading and replying to this post.

Gina
sounds fine but make sure that including your PGCE part gives you four years at uni, because Aus. doesn't accept the three year degree. I've just completed the three year full time teaching degree but its not recognised in Aus. I can do a conversion course when ( if) i get there but its probably easier for you to do it all in one go here.babs.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your advice.

Starting my degree with the OU, its called an open degree and lets you study any courses on offer so I can choose two subjects and have a degree with both of them, and then go on to do the teacher training.

Another quick question.

If I just wanted to teach SOSE and not English what subjects would I have to take then.
Does anyone know who I should speak to to clarify my degree subjects and if they are acceptable in australia if I want to teach? Ive been looking all over the internet and cant seem to find who I should email.

Thanks
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:41 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you going in Australia? Could you not just find a university you may go to which offers teacher training and email them to ask what they would require?!
Old Jul 11th 2007, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Thank you - good idea!

Will do that - Ive looked everywhere but never thought of doing the obvious!

Gina
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

I don't know where you want to go to but Flinders uni in Adelaide,SA were very helpful for me with information but i guess it could vary in requirements from state to state. Flinders is a teaching uni tho' if thats any help.