British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/)
-   -   Considering doing TEFL course. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/considering-doing-tefl-course-809053/)

Paul5025 Sep 12th 2013 12:46 pm

Considering doing TEFL course.

Hi,
I am an English Graduate considering doing a TEFL course and I have a few questions I hope you can answer for me:

Will doing a TEFL course help me to gain employment/is it really worth it?

How difficult is the course itself to complete?

In which countries are TEFL teachers most sought after?

What is the likelihood of getting a TEFL based job in the following countries:
USA
Australia
Canada
New Zealand

Is teaching English as a foreign language in another country feasible as a full time job or is it merely something to do only for a few years?

I realize there will be a lot of subjectivity here so I will answer any questions you have about my situation and future goals.

scot47 Sep 23rd 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Considering doing TEFL course.

I did it for most of my adult life - but in barbarous places where no one in their right mind wants to go. Get qualified as a primary/secondary teacher by doing a PGCE. Prospects are much better - including jobs in the areas you mention.

mikelincs Sep 23rd 2013 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Paul5025 (Post 10897570)
Hi,
I am an English Graduate considering doing a TEFL course and I have a few questions I hope you can answer for me:

Will doing a TEFL course help me to gain employment/is it really worth it?

How difficult is the course itself to complete?

In which countries are TEFL teachers most sought after?

What is the likelihood of getting a TEFL based job in the following countries:
USA
Australia
Canada
New Zealand

Is teaching English as a foreign language in another country feasible as a full time job or is it merely something to do only for a few years?

I realize there will be a lot of subjectivity here so I will answer any questions you have about my situation and future goals.

USA, no chance. Not sure about any of the others, but as they are all English speaking I would suspect that there are plenty of people with teaching qualificcations doing the same. I also suspect you would have to get your qualifications assesed before you could work there.

Briar Dec 1st 2013 10:38 am

Minimal chance in Australia. Basically because to teach in Australia you need registration with the various Teacher Registration Boards around the country. That means that you need to be 4 year university educated, one year of which must be an education course. So a 4 year B Ed. Or an undergrad with a PGCE or Grad Dip.

koalabear1 Dec 16th 2013 8:53 am

I've got an MA in the subject and find that it depends a lot on where you are. The tax situation for language teachers in Germany is a disaster, so I am considering going back into my old profession with teaching on the side for a bit of extra cash and fun. It's great doing TEFL with adults, and I've heard of extremely well paid jobs in the Middle East, but not Europe. As for your preferred selection of countries, I'm afraid I've got no idea.

1986mlob Feb 20th 2014 4:06 pm

For the countries you mention prospects are slim
Have you considered Asia?
There are so many types of TEFL.
Online/distance learning ones aren't really respected these days.
CELTA is the number one but it's for adults and over £1,500 I think.

mikelincs Feb 20th 2014 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by 1986mlob (Post 11139250)
For the countries you mention prospects are slim
Have you considered Asia?
There are so many types of TEFL.
Online/distance learning ones aren't really respected these days.
CELTA is the number one but it's for adults and over £1,500 I think.

OP made the post in Sept 2013, and hasn't posted since, so may well have left.