Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Confusion -3 year trained UK teacher, is sponsorship still an option?

Confusion -3 year trained UK teacher, is sponsorship still an option?

Old Jul 3rd 2010, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

laurawilson24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confusion -3 year trained UK teacher, is sponsorship still an option?

Hi all,

I am in contact with various independent schools hoping to secure casual primary teaching roles and possibly a sponsorship (it is my understanding that skilled migration etc is not an option when only 3 year trained).

I understand people have been sponsored by catholic and independent schools despite being 3 year trained?

One school seems very interested in looking into sponsorship HOWEVER they wanted to see my NSW institute approval and DET number. I have both however my NSW Institute letter states that I am classed as 3 year trained and so would need to complete study at a Aussie uni to bump up my skills. The independent schools seems stuck as to whether, despite this letter, they can look into sponsorship.

I have almost 3 years teaching experience and further child care experience...I understand that a outside teaching agency would assess my skills for sponsorship and thus decide whether I can be...I have heaps of evidence (more now since my first NSW approval) which would prove how able I am!

So my main question is...is this still a possible route for me or will the NSW Institute current approval be problematic in the future???!!!

Any idea/experiences please!

Laura
Old Jul 7th 2010, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

chequer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Confusion -3 year trained UK teacher, is sponsorship still an option?

I'm not sure here. When I applied for teacher registration 2 years ago (aside from immigration) in the state of Victoria, they stipulated 4 years which I managed with my BA + PGCE.

I'm not sure how that would affect your application. It might be worth looking at the assessment body.

http://www.aitsl.edu.au/ta/go/home/op/edit/pid/487#Q4

Good luck.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 8:39 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Confusion -3 year trained UK teacher, is sponsorship still an option?

Ok who do I need to assess my skills to find out if I could go for a skilled migration and/or back up any proposed sponsorship offers...

Is it the link given above or is it Teach Australia? Im confused!
Old Jul 7th 2010, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

chequer is on a distinguished road

Teach Australia is now called something else (via that weblink). You would, as I understand, still need a 'for migration' assessment just as in the old system.

I noticed that all three types of teacher are on the SOL for State Sponsorship list (where 'primary' is now missing from the general migration list) so it may still be an option for you to go this way.

I'm not an expert, I'm afraid, so I hope someone more knowledgeable will step in here and help out.

Good luck.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

What courses have people taken on to bump up their skills to allow them to apply for general skilled migration.

Im thinking I will apply to do a pre-primary course?