Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Where to look for jobs in TEFL?

Where to look for jobs in TEFL?

Old Mar 18th 2014, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

MCR byrd has a reputation beyond reputeMCR byrd has a reputation beyond reputeMCR byrd has a reputation beyond reputeMCR byrd has a reputation beyond reputeMCR byrd has a reputation beyond reputeMCR byrd has a reputation beyond reputeMCR byrd has a reputation beyond reputeMCR byrd has a reputation beyond reputeMCR byrd has a reputation beyond reputeMCR byrd has a reputation beyond reputeMCR byrd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where to look for jobs in TEFL?

Hello

What an amazing forum this is! I can't believe I haven't managed to come across it before now.

I received my CELTA qualification last year and I already have a BSc degree as well as some experience with children / young people. I am really keen to teach abroad but unsure where to start and wondered if anyone could give me some ideas. I'm a regular on Dave's ESL Cafe but am finding that its quite slow and that they are very negative regarding some countries.

I've tried the guardian but found they all want experience (beyond the 6 hours) I have, any suggestions where to look?

Thanks
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to look for jobs in TEFL?

Originally Posted by MCR byrd
Hello

What an amazing forum this is! I can't believe I haven't managed to come across it before now.

I received my CELTA qualification last year and I already have a BSc degree as well as some experience with children / young people. I am really keen to teach abroad but unsure where to start and wondered if anyone could give me some ideas. I'm a regular on Dave's ESL Cafe but am finding that its quite slow and that they are very negative regarding some countries.

I've tried the guardian but found they all want experience (beyond the 6 hours) I have, any suggestions where to look?

Thanks
Most countries will either require you to have a visa first, allowing you to work there, or will want you to get sponsorship from a school or college and obtain a working visa that way. Then you may need to register as a teacher inthat country before proceeding.
Do you have any idea where you want to work? Visa rules vary so much....Canada? Australia? Europe? USA?
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

When I got into the game in the late 1960s, it was the Times Educational Supplement published on Fridays, Now it is definitely Daves ESL Cafe - the job board not the discussion pages. You can also try the conventions run by IATEFL and TESOL but that is an expensive way to do it.

If you have zero experience, China or Korea might be the best places to start.
Old Mar 29th 2014, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

seasons is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys

MCR yes I agree...Daves esl café is a great place to look...also subscribe to Tefl.com, teachaway, prime teachers International.....If you have a degree in Science you will be snapped up for sure. I don't know if you have researched SABIS school network??

I am looking to teach in KSA or UAE...

Seasons
Old Nov 8th 2014, 4:45 am
Just Joined

Aliraza179 is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and I are moving to the US to teach in july.

I get a visa through the school and she can be added to it as a dependant so guess it is the same for a child.

I used IBO website. just type in IBO jobs to find a job
International School Services website
And also contacted school areas directly. Problem with getting a US state school job is they won't sponsor your visa like an international school will, therefore you have to sort your own, get your docs attested and then try to get a job which isn't guaranteed.

Its do-able if you work hard at it and have a slice of luck. I've just done it after 3 years of off and on research. I did those 3 things and was lucky to land a position. Just hope it is worth it now!

Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
If you have zero experience, China or Korea might be the best places to start.
Avoid China at all costs. A big clampdown is currently going on against foreign teachers. A lot of young people getting detained and deported through little fault of their own. A lot of dodgy agents and schools exploiting foreigners. Please please follow this advice......
Old Nov 27th 2014, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Asia teacher is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, if you're young, smoke a little weed, a bit 'alternative' looking . . . give China a miss.
If anyone is really serious about teaching in China, try

Serious Teachers - Jobs - Courses

Upload a decent CV with a reasonable photo; you should have a minimum of a degree and experience of teaching helps as does a TEFL certificate. Also for China a clean criminal record check and if you don’t start get at least a dozen offers within a week there’s something wrong.
Old Oct 10th 2015, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Zoey is an unknown quantity at this point

When applying for the teaching jobs abroad, most schools will require some experience, usually between 1 to 3 years. It might be a good idea to obtain some teaching experience in your country first. Not only will this help you with your teaching method, but it will also help you understand if teaching is really what you want to do. I've always wanted to be a teacher but I had no idea how it would actually be like until I first entered a classroom.

When it comes to countries, I've heard from friends that there are lots of opportunities in China and Japan, but I don't know anyone who has actually went there. Think about which country you would actually like living, as there is more to life than finding a job
Old Oct 11th 2015, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Asia teacher is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zoey
When applying for the teaching jobs abroad, most schools will require some experience, usually between 1 to 3 years. It might be a good idea to obtain some teaching experience in your country first. Not only will this help you with your teaching method, but it will also help you understand if teaching is really what you want to do. I've always wanted to be a teacher but I had no idea how it would actually be like until I first entered a classroom. When it comes to countries, I've heard from friends that there are lots of opportunities in China and Japan, but I don't know anyone who has actually went there. Think about which country you would actually like living, as there is more to life than finding a job
No spam, just informative articles I wrote that you might find useful. Here’s aself-prepared article on teaching in Northern China http://www.academia.edu/16438508/An_English_TEFL_Teacher_in_Inner_MongoliaMy advice on how toprepare an Asia Teaching resume http://www.academia.edu/11730253/Des...Teacher_Resume China is perfectlysafe if you have the right paperwork. The ones being deported and havingproblems are the ones who haven’t and/or have fake degrees.My advice is tostick to State schools. These have a reputation to keep, ‘Mary Wongs wonderfullanguage school’ and places like that are where the problems comes from. Make sure you have alegal contract. A Foreign ExpertCertificate. A residency permitissued by the PSB. Anything less andyou’re on shaky ground.

Last edited by Asia teacher; Oct 11th 2015 at 11:14 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

There are many jobs in China. Japan is not so great. Check the JET programme. Both countries are quite difficult for foreigners. I am surprised at the number of young people these days who have never travelled outside their home country. In my time European travel was considered to be part of your growing up ! Competence in a foreign language also seems to be unusual now. O tempora, o mores !
http://www.jet-uk.org/index.php
Old Oct 25th 2015, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of Japanese come here to Philippines to learn English! It's a lot cheaper. Our handymans wife teaches English to Japanese here in Cebu. Her english is adequate, but certainly nowhere near fluent and it's really 'Merican English! She has only a few words of Japanese. The Japanese kids don't seem to know the difference.They go back after 3 months with a fancy certificate that says they can speaka da inglish!
China is probably your best bet , or possibly Singapore.
Old Oct 31st 2015, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Singapore is now largely self-sufficient in English teachers. China or the Middle East. It is sometimes difficult when you have no experience.