Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Catholic schools if not catholic myself?

Catholic schools if not catholic myself?

Old Jul 31st 2009, 2:53 pm
missapps

missapps will become famous soon enough
Default Catholic schools if not catholic myself?

Hi guys me again, so have been recommended by friend in Perth of a private catholic school that is looking for overseas teachers and they sponsor- only problem is they request ' a reccommendation from pastor/minister that proves commitment to church and religion"
Now i do not have this as the last time i visited a church was for a friends wedding, i am happy to work in a cathlic school- i have experience from london catholic schools, but dont know if im wasting my time in applying- if i cant fill all of teh requirements?
Has anyone or does anyone know of anyone that has got a job in a catholic school even if they are not practising christians/catholics in Australia- its different in UK-this is know...
Just wondering and again needing some advice.
Thanks everybody xx
Old Aug 1st 2009, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

lekkilizard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Catholic schools if not catholic myself?

Originally Posted by missapps
Hi guys me again, so have been recommended by friend in Perth of a private catholic school that is looking for overseas teachers and they sponsor- only problem is they request ' a reccommendation from pastor/minister that proves commitment to church and religion"
Now i do not have this as the last time i visited a church was for a friends wedding, i am happy to work in a cathlic school- i have experience from london catholic schools, but dont know if im wasting my time in applying- if i cant fill all of teh requirements?
Has anyone or does anyone know of anyone that has got a job in a catholic school even if they are not practising christians/catholics in Australia- its different in UK-this is know...
Thanks everybody xx
Our local private Catholic school employs non catholic teachers and admin staff. They have to attend mass etc...Give the school a ring and ask if they are accepting applications from Non Catholic teachers. Good Luck ! Nx
Old Aug 1st 2009, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everybody xx
We're committed atheists and my husband works in a catholic school.

I'd suggest you get a recommendation from someone at one of the catholic schools you've worked at in the UK
Old Aug 1st 2009, 1:20 pm
missapps

Thanks guys, i will just phone them, think that is the best idea, im just scared about affecting any chances by making myself known and remembered as the 'non-christan!!'

References will be from supply manager as these are the schools i worked in- not sure that these will be sufficient- especially as one of the requirements is actually a reccommendation from a minister not a supply teaching company owner who can verify my experience in catholic schools!!

Oh well i'll try to charm them with my greatness!
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys, i will just phone them, think that is the best idea, im just scared about affecting any chances by making myself known and remembered as the 'non-christan!!'

References will be from supply manager as these are the schools i worked in- not sure that these will be sufficient- especially as one of the requirements is actually a reccommendation from a minister not a supply teaching company owner who can verify my experience in catholic schools!!

Oh well i'll try to charm them with my greatness!
Nah you will be fine, maybe you could get a lettef saying you will support the ethos and not devil worship kinda thing, I know about 5 teachers in teh catholic system who are either non christian or aethiest so as long as you don't want to start an aethiest after school club you will be fine!
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 2:45 pm
missapps

Ha thanks thats a bit more reassuring-but in WA?
Alos forgot to mention that its a baptist school but they are asking for practising christians so i kinda git mixed up- does this mean its even harder?
Old Aug 7th 2009, 3:19 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Hi missapps...I've had some experience in Catholic and other denominational schools and have put together the following info based on that experience - hope it helps!

There is definitely a difference between Catholic schools and other schools with denominational connections (such as Baptist, Uniting - essentially 'protestant' but can also be 'pentacostal' - yep, these are the happy clappers).

A few years ago I would have said as others have that it is not necessary to be Catholic to teach in that system, however my aunt has been teaching in Cath Ed for over 20 years and tells me that increasing popularity of independent education has lead to Catholic schools being more selective. Recent advice I received from Cath Ed re: teaching in Qld was to dig out my certificate of (Catholic) baptism, as well as obtain accreditation to teach in Catholic schools AND find a priest to give me a reference or I would be on the bottom of principals' lists.

It may be different in WA as lower population and possibly more need for teachers. However, as you say the school is Baptist, it is different again. I could probably break schools in Australia into types: state run, Catholic, independent and denominational. But saying that, it is better described as a spectrum rather than black & white!

State and Catholic we've covered. Independents may be associated with a more traditional church such as Anglican or Presbyterian - and sometimes Baptist. They are often older schools or "Grammars" and some may not have any religious affiliation at all. In these cases you will likely have to demonstrate your willingness to support their 'ethos' or special character but will not necessarily need to attend church or provide a clergy reference.

The other category pertains to schools with a strong Christian focus and really need to be considered as you might before applying to teach in a Jewish, Islamic or Buddhist school. These schools may be affiliated with any number of denominations - the ones I've come across have been mostly of the pentacostal persuasion (and are usually helpfully named "Clumber Christian School' or "Living Water College") but I've worked in Baptist schools like this - assemblies can be like church services (singing, preaching, praying), prayer is common in classrooms and teachers are expected to demonstrate an 'active Christian lifestyle', including regularly attending church, signing a statement of faith, attending staff prayer meetings and generally following a Biblical lifestyle.

As someone mentioned it is worth contacting the school to see if they are considering hiring teachers who are non-church goers. Depending on how keen they are for staff and where they are on the spectrum, it may not be a problem, but you may also like to consider how you would feel teaching in an environment where faith played such a strong part and where you might not be encouraged to express your own beliefs.

Good luck job hunting - I hope you find a great school!

cheers,
saoghalbeag