Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Can't make up my mind! Now I think it might b better 2 go 2 NT if they're sponsoring!

Can't make up my mind! Now I think it might b better 2 go 2 NT if they're sponsoring!

Old Apr 25th 2009, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Bev_n is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can't make up my mind! Now I think it might b better 2 go 2 NT if they're sponsoring!

Hi there!!

I've had about 5 different plans so far, now I have a new one!!

I'm thinking it could be better to go to Northern Territory because I've heared that they're sponsoring teachers. Does anyone know how long a 176 state sponsored would take to process?

If I did take that route, I'd still have to wait 'till July 2010 to apply when my induction year is over. Unless anyone can think of a way to convince the immigration people that 12 months on supply is good enough, it says on the immigration web site that i'd need a reference showing the period of employment, so I could get that from my supply agency, would that not be good enough?. Then after a year in the territory I'd probably be looking to move to Queensland.

My back-up plan would be to get a 176 family sponsored visa (still applying in July 2010) But then I'd be able to go to queensland (the place where I'd like to end up either way)

If I choose the back-up plan, I was thinking of getting a WHV so that I can get out there sooner and be out there whilst my application is being processed.

So what do people think? which option would be the best? Because I'm all over the place.

Bev xx
Old Apr 26th 2009, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

lekkilizard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can't make up my mind! Now I think it might b better 2 go 2 NT if they're sponsor

Originally Posted by Bev_n
Hi there!!

I'm thinking it could be better to go to Northern Territory because I've heared that they're sponsoring teachers. Does anyone know how long a 176 state sponsored would take to process?

If I did take that route, I'd still have to wait 'till July 2010 to apply when my induction year is over. Unless anyone can think of a way to convince the immigration people that 12 months on supply is good enough, it says on the immigration web site that i'd need a reference showing the period of employment, so I could get that from my supply agency, would that not be good enough?. Then after a year in the territory I'd probably be looking to move to Queensland.

My back-up plan would be to get a 176 family sponsored visa (still applying in July 2010) But then I'd be able to go to queensland (the place where I'd like to end up either way)

If I choose the back-up plan, I was thinking of getting a WHV so that I can get out there sooner and be out there whilst my application is being processed.

So what do people think? which option would be the best? Because I'm all over the place.

Bev xx
You sound very confused indeed apart from the Queensland part.

Perhaps now is not the best time to move permanently.

Your idea of WHV may be a good start to test the water, make some contacts and see what it is really like.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't make up my mind! Now I think it might b better 2 go 2 NT if they're sponsor

Hi Bev - totally agree with Lekkilizard about it being the time to move permanently to Australia, whether it be NT or Qld.

My journey has been very similar to your latest plan and desires. I wanted very much to go to Australia and as I had family in NSW and WA, decided that NSW being the bigger state population wise, it would be the best place for me. So I went on a WHV - enjoyed my time in NSW, Victoria, SA, QLD and NT, but when I got to WA and got to know my family there, just knew it was where I wanted to be. I have spent the last year trying to get back on a permanent basis. The 457 sponsorship with DETWA didnt work, and I am now looking at other avenues. One of which is sponsorship through the NT.

But out of all of this, I realise that the global economic situation is not making things any easier for anyone in whatever country, and I have decided to stay put for the time being until things settle down.

I have friends in many states in Australia, and they all tell me that jobs are getting harder to get in any industry - whether it is industrial (electrician, plumber, carpenter etc) or on a professional level as a teacher, solicitor. It seems the only areas that still have vacancies are in the various levels of the medical profession - doctors, nurses, radiologists, pharmacists etc.

Good luck though if you decide to bite the bullet. I greatly admire you for going for what you want out of life. Best wishes Richard
Old Apr 26th 2009, 10:57 am
Account Closed

derekgoforth is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there!!

Bev xx
just go for it bev, investigate all routes and email/ speak to as many people as you can. a whv could get you over there and working, espaecially if you didnt mind going to some remaote/ rural places. lots of supply agencies will employ you in Aus and you will be able to make lots of contacts, particually in the private sector.
private schools are not like they are over in the uk, they are a lot more common, (lower fees etc) and there are nearly as many private run schools as there are state run schools. working in a private school can be easier to get into as they have more flexibility on employment rules and regs.

pm me if you want more info on my personal experience

all the best and keep the dream alive!!
Old Apr 26th 2009, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for all of your thoughts!! We are defo gonna go for it. I know if we dont go for it, we'll regret it for the rest of our lives and now is really the only opportunity we have as we have nothing holding us back, no kids yet, no house, so we could just go for it because we have nothing to lose.

The only thing we need to decide is whether to take the shorter route of getting state sponsorship and going to NT or getting family sponsored, waiting forever and go to queensland.

Does anyone know how long the state sponsored takes to process? and if we have to stay in NT to get citizenship.

and another question, if I send of for my visa some time soon and it comes back saying that the 12 months experience I have is not sufficient, will we lose the money and have to pay again?

Thanks

Bev xx
Old Apr 27th 2009, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone for all of your thoughts!! We are defo gonna go for it. I know if we dont go for it, we'll regret it for the rest of our lives and now is really the only opportunity we have as we have nothing holding us back, no kids yet, no house, so we could just go for it because we have nothing to lose.

The only thing we need to decide is whether to take the shorter route of getting state sponsorship and going to NT or getting family sponsored, waiting forever and go to queensland.

Does anyone know how long the state sponsored takes to process? and if we have to stay in NT to get citizenship.

and another question, if I send of for my visa some time soon and it comes back saying that the 12 months experience I have is not sufficient, will we lose the money and have to pay again?

Thanks

Bev xx
Bev

Have you had your qualifications assessed by Teaching Australia? This is the first thing to do and prior to lodging your visa app.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nbn8
Bev

Have you had your qualifications assessed by Teaching Australia? This is the first thing to do and prior to lodging your visa app.
Hey!!

Yeah I'm in the middle of doing that now!! filled out the form, jus need a few forms from uni and i'm golden!! I realise i'm a bit ahead of myself, we're not applying for the visa 'till next year anyway I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing and have a plan really.

I'm probably leaning more towards the 176 family sponsored for queensland and just get a WHV whilst it's processing. I can get a second WHV u see if I do 3 months work in regional australia and there are quite a few jobs in the right areas of queensland now so jus hope there will b when the time comes. I'm leaning more towards this one because a few people have told me that I will make some useful contacts whilst on supply and Queensland is where I want to end up anyway!!

Are you going to the Gold Coast? If so, where about?

Bev xx