Can you help?

Old Apr 22nd 2007, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

doje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Can you help?

I am a practising Nurse and I wish to enter the sacred world of Nurse education. I am currently undertaking a degree level module on Mentors and Mentorship. Within it you have to complete a reflective essay on a teaching session incorporating teaching and learning styles and mapping the work to the national standards for mentors. Phew! Heres where I need your help.

With the greatest repect from one professional to another(s), do you feel or perhaps you know that you can be a great teacher without necessarily knowing what Carl Rogers thinks! I may be naive but I think you can. I think Teachers, like Nurses are born to it. Knowing about styles improves your work but doesnt make it. I may be totally off the mark and wouldnt want to upset anyone, but what do you think? Are there schools (pardon the pun) of thought that agree with this? Or have I just committed cyber treason?

Can you let me know of web sites or books that would endorse this? Or perhaps disprove?

Thanks again, please go via the Nurses forum if you develop a leg ulcer and Ill sort it out for you as a way of thanks! I have a terrible fear you lot are going to go mad when you read this!

donna
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

cherryripe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can you help?

Hi Donna
I agree that certain folk are natural teachers / nurses. However, people learn in very different styles and I find that sometimes I have to alter the style of my teaching to suit the learner. In my current class situation I have children who are visual learners, some are kinesthetic learners and others are auditory learners. (V.A.K. for short!) I think its important to be aware of the great theorists but I must admit since I started teaching I rarely think about Vygotsky or Piaget!
Good Luck with your course