Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Can a UK citizen go to Uni in NY, Cali or Atlanta?

Can a UK citizen go to Uni in NY, Cali or Atlanta?

Old Dec 2nd 2007, 3:00 pm
Just Joined
Thread Starter
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: England, UK
Posts: 2
Glisten is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can a UK citizen go to Uni in NY, Cali or Atlanta?


Just after a bit of advice really. I'm fresh out of a relationship and have thought about going to America for awhile. I am in my last year in university in the UK and have just applied to do a Secondary English PGCE. I just wanted to know if I could take a PGCE to New York, California or Atlanta which is where I have family? Or another option am I eligible to apply to American Universities to do the their PGCE qualification?

In addition what is the American teaching equivalent called? Would they send me home after I complete this qualification or could I stay on and apply for jobs?


G x
Glisten is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Mount Barker, SA
Posts: 44
Em76 will become famous soon enoughEm76 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Can a UK citizen go to Uni in NY, Cali or Atlanta?

Not sure how much this helps, but I taught in Atlanta for a year with www.vifprogram.com
They sponsor teachers for up to 3 years to teach in the US (mainly north & south carolina and georgia) If you want any more details feel free to PM me
Em76 is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:19 am
Just Joined
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 5
el chupacabre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can a UK citizen go to Uni in NY, Cali or Atlanta?

Americans get a Masters in Education. If you chose to get your teaching qualification in the US, if you can't get a school to sponsor you for a work based visa (H1-B, which infact is very difficult to get due to the expense to employer, and in particular for schools, the time of year in which these visas are issued -October-) then you will have to return home after your studies. Youll also be an international student which means extortionate tuition fees. As suggested above, vif is a very good alternative if you do PGCE in the UK and some people do get placed in schools in Georgia. Only problem with vif is that the J1 visa does not allow adjustment to permanent residency, so when the 3 year visa expires, you leave (unless of course you find an eligible American to marry )
If you have any questions about vif, theres an excellent forum on the TES website. TONNES of info on there. http://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffro...&messagePage=1

You might also want to consider British schools of America. Here they teach the NC. Theres good and bad reviews of working for them, but its def something to look at.

Good luck
el chupacabre is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.