Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Early Years teaching in Australia

Early Years teaching in Australia

Old Mar 28th 2016, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

nslater is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Early Years teaching in Australia

Hi, just looking for some advice, are Early Years jobs one of the high demand areas or are jobs in this area hard to come by as an ex-pat? I've 13 years experience teaching in Primary (Reception to Year 5; 4-9yrs) and am currently teaching nursery at a school. Just wondering whether my skills would transfer or I need to do some retraining (I hold a BA(Hons) in PE with QTS)? TIA
Old Apr 8th 2016, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of
Default Re: Early Years teaching in Australia

I'm not sure how it goes as regards visa applicants but there does always seem to be plenty of work in child care facilities for trained early years teachers but it doesn't generally pay as well as school teaching and the hours are usually longer and obviously no school hols. I would think looking at your quals. you might need some specific Early Years qualification. Perhaps it might just make you more desirable? Is PE Primary Education or Physical Education as it could make a huge difference.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

nslater is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Babsw
I'm not sure how it goes as regards visa applicants but there does always seem to be plenty of work in child care facilities for trained early years teachers but it doesn't generally pay as well as school teaching and the hours are usually longer and obviously no school hols. I would think looking at your quals. you might need some specific Early Years qualification. Perhaps it might just make you more desirable? Is PE Primary Education or Physical Education as it could make a huge difference.
Hi
Thanks for your reply
It's Primary Education and Physical Education, I missed out the Primary bit before! 🙄
I'm going round in circles at the moment with the wording surrounding it all. AITSL state I need evidence teaching and teacher training in ages 3-8 for Early Childhood Teacher roles but my visa bureau guy can't confirm what age is Primary in Australia as in the UK Primary starts at 4-11, I'm just very confused by the terminology when trying to work out what evidence I need!!
Old Apr 18th 2016, 3:46 am
Just Joined

PennyF is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi nslater,

The distinction is that early childhood teaching is different to primary. Primary teaching is ages 4-11 (in Queensland). To work as an early childhood teacher which includes Kindergarten teacher in childcare centres you would need an early childhood degree. You can do some bridging subjects as previously suggested on this thread if you have a primary teaching degree. It really depends on what your goal is. Primary School or Early Learning teaching.

I hope this information helps you.
Penny

*snip*

Last edited by old.sparkles; Apr 18th 2016 at 5:21 am. Reason: please take time to read site rules :)