British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/)
-   -   Anyone hear of teachers being 'referred' to another school? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/anyone-hear-teachers-being-referred-another-school-762607/)

scotsista Jun 23rd 2012 6:32 am

Anyone hear of teachers being 'referred' to another school?

Hello there

My husband has been working in a state secondary school here in Melbourne on a contract for a year now. They have extended his contract for another 6 months and then explained it will probably not be renewed come the end of this year.

His school is currently overstaffed and they are looking to lose a number of teachers. What is interesting is that he has been told his position will still be there and it will be a teacher who has been 'referred' from another school and who is on a permanent contract who will be taking over from him.

We are very disappointed and of course we did understand that it was not a permanent position but it seems very unusual to us that another teacher can come along from another school on a referral basis.

Has anyone else heard of this or experienced it? It's back to looking for other suitable positions again and hoping something will come up in the next few months :fingerscrossed:

Jen1977ni Jun 25th 2012 4:14 am

Re: Anyone hear of teachers being 'referred' to another school?

Originally Posted by scotsista (Post 10134344)
Hello there

My husband has been working in a state secondary school here in Melbourne on a contract for a year now. They have extended his contract for another 6 months and then explained it will probably not be renewed come the end of this year.

His school is currently overstaffed and they are looking to lose a number of teachers. What is interesting is that he has been told his position will still be there and it will be a teacher who has been 'referred' from another school and who is on a permanent contract who will be taking over from him.

We are very disappointed and of course we did understand that it was not a permanent position but it seems very unusual to us that another teacher can come along from another school on a referral basis.

Has anyone else heard of this or experienced it? It's back to looking for other suitable positions again and hoping something will come up in the next few months :fingerscrossed:

Not REFERRED, TRANSFERRED! Happens all the time up here in Qld. Permanent teachers who want to change school, or move into the area, put in for a transfer, and they then take the place of contract teachers who are already working in schools. The permanent teachers have no real choice as to where they're sent either, which is pretty awful! The school itself has no real choice as to who transfers in, and the contract teacher? Well, they're just a dogsbody (I know because I am one!) and can be shifted from pillar to post and have no real worth in the teaching sphere! DEEPEST JOY EH?! Hmmmmm

scotsista Jun 25th 2012 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 10137211)
Not REFERRED, TRANSFERRED! Happens all the time up here in Qld. Permanent teachers who want to change school, or move into the area, put in for a transfer, and they then take the place of contract teachers who are already working in schools. The permanent teachers have no real choice as to where they're sent either, which is pretty awful! The school itself has no real choice as to who transfers in, and the contract teacher? Well, they're just a dogsbody (I know because I am one!) and can be shifted from pillar to post and have no real worth in the teaching sphere! DEEPEST JOY EH?! Hmmmmm

Hey Jenni, Thanks so much for taking the time to post. It has certainly helped put my husband's mind at rest, if only a little. My husband has been told there are 3 people waiting to transfer to his position and he really couldn't believe it and was starting to wonder if this was true or not. It is good to hear from someone who knows about these things.

We are starting to feel quite disheartened by the education recruitment style here and of course wish we had know about this in more detail before we came. It's strange and has just kind of hit us how vulnerable a position we are in especially having two little ones to think of too. We just have to hope, pray and send out as many CV's as possible in the hope he will find something else for the new year.

Thanks again for your helpful info.:thumbup:

Jen1977ni Jun 25th 2012 11:33 am

Originally Posted by scotsista (Post 10137517)
Hey Jenni, Thanks so much for taking the time to post. It has certainly helped put my husband's mind at rest, if only a little. My husband has been told there are 3 people waiting to transfer to his position and he really couldn't believe it and was starting to wonder if this was true or not. It is good to hear from someone who knows about these things.

We are starting to feel quite disheartened by the education recruitment style here and of course wish we had know about this in more detail before we came. It's strange and has just kind of hit us how vulnerable a position we are in especially having two little ones to think of too. We just have to hope, pray and send out as many CV's as possible in the hope he will find something else for the new year.

Thanks again for your helpful info.:thumbup:

No problem. It probably varies from state to state, but here in Qld we have 'DAY 8', this is the 8th day of the school year, and on this day they do a headcount of the kids, if they are under a certain number they lose a teacher, and if they are over, they gain a teacher. I was on class all of last year and for the first three weeks of this year. This year they were under, and unfortunately I was the '33rd teacher' that they had to 'dispose of'. Luckily I was 'looked after' and made into a DRT (District Relieving Teacher) which is like a supply teacher but on a guaranteed wage/salary for the year. My school is still my 'base school' but if I'm not booked by them, other schools can book me, and unlike a supply teacher, I can't say no, I just have to go to the other schools, rough or not!

I don't like how the system works here either, but I'm now a senior teacher, and on a helluva lot better a wage than I ever was in the UK, clearing an extra 20k (pounds) more than I did whilst working in the UK! BEAT THAT ONE HEY?! We're due for the NT at the end of the year, so it'll be interesting to see how things work out up there....hmmmm....

Briar Jul 8th 2012 8:26 am

Similar in WA. "Referred" here means that you are permanent without a substantive positive, for whatever reason.... However the situation is now changing with all the new staffing processes in WA, and "Redeployee" is now the new term. Means that you could end up anywhere I suppose, but at least you have a job. However I also understand that if the good old Dept of Ed in WA cant place you, you remain a "redeployee" and and don't get paid until they find you a position, be it temporary or permanent.

Jen1977ni Jul 8th 2012 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Briar (Post 10160702)
Similar in WA. "Referred" here means that you are permanent without a substantive positive, for whatever reason.... However the situation is now changing with all the new staffing processes in WA, and "Redeployee" is now the new term. Means that you could end up anywhere I suppose, but at least you have a job. However I also understand that if the good old Dept of Ed in WA cant place you, you remain a "redeployee" and and don't get paid until they find you a position, be it temporary or permanent.

If they can't find you a post here in Qld they often make you an LRT/DRT...