Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

anyone done/doing the grad dip in teaching in VIC

anyone done/doing the grad dip in teaching in VIC

Old Nov 30th 2010, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

paddygunner has a brilliant futurepaddygunner has a brilliant futurepaddygunner has a brilliant futurepaddygunner has a brilliant futurepaddygunner has a brilliant futurepaddygunner has a brilliant future
Default anyone done/doing the grad dip in teaching in VIC

Just looking to talk to someone who has recently done or is doing the grad dip in education at a uni in VIC.

Thinking of enrolling for 2012.

Regards
PG
Old Dec 13th 2010, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

clarence_quack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: anyone done/doing the grad dip in teaching in VIC

Originally Posted by paddygunner
Just looking to talk to someone who has recently done or is doing the grad dip in education at a uni in VIC.

Thinking of enrolling for 2012.

Regards
PG
I just completed the first year of my Masters of Teaching at Melbourne Uni
It was a hell of a year (I did the accelerated option), but it seems to be well received in the profession.
This is a 1 or 1.5 year course to do the post graduate diploma, and approx another 6 months to do the masters componant, depending on what option you choose.

Check out http://www.edfac.unimelb.edu.au/mteach/
Old Dec 15th 2010, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

paddygunner has a brilliant futurepaddygunner has a brilliant futurepaddygunner has a brilliant futurepaddygunner has a brilliant futurepaddygunner has a brilliant futurepaddygunner has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=clarence_quack;9038688]I just completed the first year of my Masters of Teaching at Melbourne Uni
It was a hell of a year (I did the accelerated option), but it seems to be well received in the profession.
This is a 1 or 1.5 year course to do the post graduate diploma, and approx another 6 months to do the masters componant, depending on what option you choose.

Check out http://www.edfac.unimelb.edu.au/mteach/[/QUOT

Thanks for that

Which stream did you attend -primary, secondary?

I am what you would call a mature student having worked in Business for 15 years.
Are there many mature students in the course and can you tell me what the selection process is. Is there an interview?

Regards pg
Old Dec 16th 2010, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

At 24, I was one of the young ones, there was a really good mix of fresh graduates and mature age students in the course.
I studied secondary teaching, but the people I knew in the primary stream seemed to generally have the same opinion of their course as I did of mine.
I didn't have to go for an interview, although if you have been out of school for a while you may have to show some industry experience relating to the subjects you want to teach- I could only study Health and Psychology as that was what I majored in for my undergrad.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

nathughes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey I am considering going over to do Primary Teaching. DOes anyone know anything about these qualifications being recognized back in the UK?? Im really worried cos it quite expensive so i dont want to return home and be told I cant teach here...

thanks
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:45 am
Just Joined

I am moving to the UK next month and haven't heard of any issues with people not accepting my Australian teaching qualifications. Teaching in the UK longer than 4 years requires you to get full UK registration, but that's not very different to the Victorian Institute of Teaching registration that I have to do here.

Hope this helps!

Claire
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:39 am
Just Joined

karenza is an unknown quantity at this point

Did a Grad Dip in education at University of Ballarat in 2009.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:29 am
Just Joined

DId you do Primary Teaching?? DId you get a job easy enough??
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

karenza is an unknown quantity at this point

I did primary teaching. I struggled to get a job, make sure your application is top quality, get a professional to write it if you stuggle and get heap of different people to read it if you write it yourself. If you dont care where you work apply everywhere, I was looking in a slow area and thus found it hard.
Hope this helps
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Hi Im sorry for all the questions, basically im really worried now as Primary Teaching is not on the Skilled workers list so after my Student Visa runs out what are my options to stay in OZ.

Im looking at course in Melbourne and Perth a Master and a Graduate Diploma but its alot of money to spend for me if I dont get a job after as I cant register in Ireland without doing 1 year working as a Teacher in OZ

I am worried il waste my time