Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Any supply teachers in Perth?

Any supply teachers in Perth?

Old Jun 26th 2009, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

movin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nice
Default Any supply teachers in Perth?

Hi there

How is it? What's the money like? Private or public?

I've never done supply before but finding a part time job that fits in with the kids is impossible. I'm thinking of doing relief for 2 -3 days a week. I live SOR and I'm wondering how frequently I'll get work (I know it will take a while to get known by the schools). I'm also wondering how the kids are - obviously it depends on the school but any personal experience is worth something!

I have 11 yrs experience in a range of schools - from horrendous to heavenly!

Any (sensible) advice or information will be gratefully received.

Thanks
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:53 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any supply teachers in Perth?

I'm a relief teacher in Perth. The amount of work varies a lot, the first few weeks of the term are usually very quiet and you might only get a couple of days work but it does get busier as the term progresses. Some weeks I work every day, some weeks you don't get anything.

Pay is ok, start around 220 dollars a day until you can provide evidence of your previous full time employment then you go up the pay scale.

Before you can work in public schools you must register with the Dept of Education and attend a three day course in Leederville.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

movin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nice

Thanks for that. Just out of interest - why do you need to do the course? More hoops or is it worthwhile? Is it free?
Is the $220 before or after tax? Please tell me after, as childcare is going to cost me $160!
Thanks again
Old Jun 27th 2009, 12:37 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

To work in a state schools you must register with the WA Dept of Education. You then have to attend a three day course in Leederville which includes classroom management, reporting, aboriginal students etc.

The course was ok and it was nice to meet people in a similiar situation so I made some great friends on it. Its completely free (with lunch) and its run once a month.

When you first start you get put on step one of the pay scale and its $220 before tax. If you can provide evidence of full time teaching overseas they will recognise that and put you up a few steps but only up to a certain level.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Thanks much appreciated.
karma sent
Old Jun 28th 2009, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by WS
I'm a relief teacher in Perth. The amount of work varies a lot, the first few weeks of the term are usually very quiet and you might only get a couple of days work but it does get busier as the term progresses. Some weeks I work every day, some weeks you don't get anything.

Pay is ok, start around 220 dollars a day until you can provide evidence of your previous full time employment then you go up the pay scale.

Before you can work in public schools you must register with the Dept of Education and attend a three day course in Leederville.
ARG in NSW ir's a 12 day course which is not that handy if you only want to do supply and have chlldcare issues...