Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Any secondary school teachers already in Oz?

Any secondary school teachers already in Oz?

Old Jul 25th 2006, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future
Default Any secondary school teachers already in Oz?

Hi

I was wondering if there are any secondary school teachers in Oz already that can give me a brief description of teaching conditions in Oz

For example: working hours, amount of work you do in your own time, contracts, paid holidays, facilities and class sizes etc

I will hopefully be teaching ICT and was also wondering about the facilities in the ICT departments i.e. behind the times, average or advance technology and finally is there really a shortage of ICT teachers in Oz or will I be struggling to find work?

I’m planning on doing supply work from August to January (when Oz year starts) so I can get to know how the system works – How easy is it to get supply work??? Do I need to go through agencies??? Can anyone recommend some Victoria agencies??? Whats the pay like doing supply work???

Thanks
Old Jul 28th 2006, 9:20 pm
littleflower

littleflower15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Any secondary school teachers already in Oz?

I am hoping someone replies. I have asked similar questions but did not get any replies.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

moondust7 has a spectacular aura aboutmoondust7 has a spectacular aura aboutmoondust7 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Any secondary school teachers already in Oz?

I am also a teaching and will be looking to teach out in australia when I eventually get there. These are also questions I would be interested in. I am a science teacher by the way and looking to move to adelaide or brisbane.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 5:44 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

http://www.teachers.ash.org.au/aussi...employment.htm

gives you links to all the state/territory website links in Oz re: teaching (in the state system); includes vacancies and the like.

Most states have developed some form of registration (similar to GTC) but they vary in their level of nazi-ness (ie: Qld can be quite strict; you have to submit essays and pass an interview before a government panel before they will let you teach longer than a day!)

I must say I found the TES MUCH better as far as job hunting for a permanent post goes...

I don't think, once you're registered, that you should have too much trouble finding work on a contract/supply basis. I have found the biggest complaints amongst local teachers here are about not being able to get permanent work. This is the case in Qld where they operate a ridiculous 'points' system, whereby teachers are allocated points for years of service (also get more points if you are in a bad or remote location). Only teachers with enough points can apply for permanent posts in good areas, say, Brisbane.

That said, there are a LOT of independent schools around the area and you can apply direct. Try Career One.

NSW and Vic are supposedly a wee bit more flexible...you can submit your CV online in Victoria and have schools contact you.

The Northern Territory have an offer at the moment where they will pay your airfare and organise a work visa if you commit to teaching at least 2 terms (one semester) in a school of their choosing. It'll probably be somewhere remote but the experience would be a one-off!

Each state/territory does its own thing re: curriculum so you will have to check out the area you're interested in.

Hope this helps!
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matildaskye
http://www.teachers.ash.org.au/aussi...employment.htm

gives you links to all the state/territory website links in Oz re: teaching (in the state system); includes vacancies and the like.

Most states have developed some form of registration (similar to GTC) but they vary in their level of nazi-ness (ie: Qld can be quite strict; you have to submit essays and pass an interview before a government panel before they will let you teach longer than a day!)

I must say I found the TES MUCH better as far as job hunting for a permanent post goes...

I don't think, once you're registered, that you should have too much trouble finding work on a contract/supply basis. I have found the biggest complaints amongst local teachers here are about not being able to get permanent work. This is the case in Qld where they operate a ridiculous 'points' system, whereby teachers are allocated points for years of service (also get more points if you are in a bad or remote location). Only teachers with enough points can apply for permanent posts in good areas, say, Brisbane.

That said, there are a LOT of independent schools around the area and you can apply direct. Try Career One.

NSW and Vic are supposedly a wee bit more flexible...you can submit your CV online in Victoria and have schools contact you.

The Northern Territory have an offer at the moment where they will pay your airfare and organise a work visa if you commit to teaching at least 2 terms (one semester) in a school of their choosing. It'll probably be somewhere remote but the experience would be a one-off!

Each state/territory does its own thing re: curriculum so you will have to check out the area you're interested in.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for that. Good info! Karma coming your way