British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Teaching (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/)
-   -   any primary teachers applying for australian 175 visa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/teaching-80/any-primary-teachers-applying-australian-175-visa-642880/)

kat83 Dec 1st 2009 8:38 am

any primary teachers applying for australian 175 visa?

hi, just a quick post to ask if there are any primary teachers who have applied for a 175 visa? i am hoping to apply for this visa in the new year and at the moment i think this is what I need to do prior to lodging my visa application -

1. Take the ILETS exam to get an extra 10points to take me from 115 to 125. Anyone have any advice about taking this exam?

2. Have my qualifications assessed by teach australia. I have read this takes around 8 weeks? What do I need to send as proof of my degree? Do I send a copy of my degree certificate? University transcripts- what are these and how do I get them?

Are there any other things I need to get ready? Any other tips or advice people have learned along the way would be most helpful?

It would be really helpful if anyone has any knowledge of how long it should take for the visa process? I've heard it could be end of 2012 before they even look at my application? Very disheartened by that :(

much thanks to anyone who can help me with the above :thumbsup:

Gems Dec 1st 2009 9:30 am

Re: any primary teachers applying for australian 175 visa?

Hi,
Yes most of the 175 are on hold until 2012.

Most people have been coming on sponsored visa, however this is on hold.

So not looking good for coming over anytime soon.

I have heard some people in the past have got sponsored by private schools via Smart teachers. Maybe worth contacting them if you want to come over sooner. However this is likely to be rural schools.

Transcripts are document that has all your unit/modules listed with marks.
This is available from your University.
If your teaching degree is old and before they had transcripts, you will need to get Uni to write a letter stating this, and that you passed your course and grade. Will need to be dated, letter head paper, signed and stamped.

Good Luck
Gems

Gems Dec 1st 2009 9:31 am

PS, if you have been teaching a while. You will need references from your past employers to prove your years of service with dates start and finish, job title and if it was full time/part time etc. Otherwise they will put you on newly qualified pay!

Gems

kat83 Dec 1st 2009 8:59 pm

THANKS GEM! think we will apply for 175 in jan/feb after having my qualifications assessed by teaching australia. we hope to apply for a whv for july 2010 to july 2011, anyone any thoughts on this? would be interested to hear if anyone has taught on a whv and what your experience was? cheers x

hereshoping Dec 2nd 2009 5:03 am

Originally Posted by kat83 (Post 8139562)
THANKS GEM! think we will apply for 175 in jan/feb after having my qualifications assessed by teaching australia. we hope to apply for a whv for july 2010 to july 2011, anyone any thoughts on this? would be interested to hear if anyone has taught on a whv and what your experience was? cheers x

It's possible to teach on a WHV, but bear in mind you can only work for a max of 6 months for any employer.

Before you come you must get registered with the state education board of the state(s) you want to teach in. Registration can take a while and you probably don't want to hang around waiting for it.