Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

AITSL Teaching Assessment - Process time?

AITSL Teaching Assessment - Process time?

Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future
Default Re: AITSL Teaching Assessment - Process time?

I am taking my IELTS test in the morning. I need 7.0 in all four parts
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 12:51 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bubblegum_babe
I am taking my IELTS test in the morning. I need 7.0 in all four parts
You'll be grand, I got 9,9,9, and 8.5 lol
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

beachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the rough

Hi bubble_gum babe and Jen,

It still costs AUD450 and the processing time is 8 weeks.

Jen, I'm glad that yours was ok without mentioning it was conducted in English, I'm hoping that because it's from an English uni that will be enough proof I hope.

Yes, I have to take the IELTS because for the 176 visa that's one of the requirements now. It doesn't say which one to take so I'm assuming it's general. How did u find the test? I have the book so I'll start doing some revising - feel like I'm going back to school! At what stage did u need employer references, I don't fancy letting my school know yet.
Btw Jen, I've seen your thread and just want to say that I think your positive energy is great, and seems like u don't let anything stop you! How much do teachers get paid over there? From what I've seen it seems like it's between $55,000-80,000, is that accurate? That would be more than in the UK!

bubble_gum babe, I'm still waiting for the uni's to post back the documentation so I will have to be patient. It takes 8 weeks for the skills assessment to come back so at this rate it will be April when I apply for the visa. Whereabouts in SA are u planning to go? Are u primary/secondary? Maybe we should keep in touch as we seem to be at the same stage of processing and esp if we are planning to go to same place.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future

Hi Beachlady,

I am in the same situation, I don't want to inform my school yet. The DIAC need evidence of us teaching at least 12 months out of the last 24 but I was planning on being sneaky with that one. It is needed when you apply for the 176 visa.

I have my contract with the date I started on and I was going to get my school to write a quick few sentences saying my contract started on x date and I still work at the school today BUT I was going to tell them the bank need the letter for my mortgage

The reference itself is needed when we register to teach in SA. It is in two parts. Part 1 cost $100 and is basically getting our qualifications assessed again (same evidence we use for the skills assessment) Part 2 needs the outcome of part 1 and requires us to study a module and complete a first aid unit in SA. I am planning on getting part one done AFTER I have my visa but BEFORE I leave for Oz and send in part 2 once I have completed the extra bits (I'll pre-book the courses) so by the time I get to Part 1 I will have my visa and will be ready to hand in my notice anyway so I don't mind the school knowing then.

I sent my skills assessment off on the 13th January and am still waiting for the acknowledgement to say they have received it. This should be this week hopefully. It takes 8 weeks from that point. (approx 25th March) then I can lodge for my state sponsorship request for SA online and send off the documents. I read that this can take 8 weeks too so I should hear back in late May/early June. From there I can lodge for the 176 visa itself.

The documents needed for the skills assessment must ALL be certified, no copies and no originals but the documents that SA want when applying for state sponsorship only need to be photocopies.

I have everything photocopied and in the envelope ready and I'm just waiting on the skills assessment and IELTS to photocopy and pop in there before posting. The documents for the 176 need to be certified so I'll do that once I've sent off for SS and got that out of the way.

I teach in a secondary school. You?
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

beachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the rough

Hi bubblegum_babe,

Thanks, seems like you're all organised! Hope the IELTS went well.

On the application form for the skills assessment where it says secondary school qualification, did you put all your GCSE's/A'levels down or something different?

Just need to check this point, am I right in thinking that the certs can be certified copies? You put no copies but I think you meant no copies of transcripts?? Did you get your AITSL witnessed? It says you have to get the state sponsorship witnessed but assume you don't for the skills assessment.

I also plan to get the teacher registration sorted before I go. Only just found out about the first aid course so that's another hurdle. Where do you register for the module?

That's a good idea about the mortgage when verifying your teaching experience. Does the Head need to do it or can the secretary verify it?

I teach primary.

I apologise for the abundance of questions, although the guidelines have a lot of info, I like to double check things just to make sure.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 6:15 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachlady
Hi bubble_gum babe and Jen,

It still costs AUD450 and the processing time is 8 weeks.

Jen, I'm glad that yours was ok without mentioning it was conducted in English, I'm hoping that because it's from an English uni that will be enough proof I hope.

Yes, I have to take the IELTS because for the 176 visa that's one of the requirements now. It doesn't say which one to take so I'm assuming it's general. How did u find the test? I have the book so I'll start doing some revising - feel like I'm going back to school! At what stage did u need employer references, I don't fancy letting my school know yet.
Btw Jen, I've seen your thread and just want to say that I think your positive energy is great, and seems like u don't let anything stop you! How much do teachers get paid over there? From what I've seen it seems like it's between $55,000-80,000, is that accurate? That would be more than in the UK!

bubble_gum babe, I'm still waiting for the uni's to post back the documentation so I will have to be patient. It takes 8 weeks for the skills assessment to come back so at this rate it will be April when I apply for the visa. Whereabouts in SA are u planning to go? Are u primary/secondary? Maybe we should keep in touch as we seem to be at the same stage of processing and esp if we are planning to go to same place.
Awww thanks BB, it's not been an easy journey but it's worth it in the end eh! I used the Peter May study guide, it was the academic version which was really hard but made the actual General exam seem soooo much easier! Re references, my school knew from the outset of my intentions, it's up to u when u get the references but aren't they required for the skills assessment or am I wrong?! It's been so long lol
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

musicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nice

If I am not totally wrong I also think that you need a job reference for the skills assessment with AITSL: Mine was also already last year when the organisation was still called "Teach Australia", but I can't imagine that this has changed. I needed to get a job reference from my school. And now I need a new one, although nothing changed in what I do, but DIAC wants something about the last 12 months before applying for 176 and my job reference is from last year March.
Petra
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

For the AITSL it doesn't say you need a reference. There is a one year study requirement of initial teacher training and you have to have proof of that.

For the state sponsorship the requirement is 12 months out of the last 24 months for the work experience. It doesn't say that you have to send proof through a reference for that but I suppose it might be worth doing that. However, I just read that it also says that if you send non-essential documents, it may slow down the process. Anyway, maybe I'm interpreting it wrongly not quite sure at this point. It would make sense to send some kind of proof of work experience.

For 176 visa, you definitely need the proof of work experience.

Last edited by beachlady; Jan 23rd 2011 at 7:53 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

musicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nice

Ah, ok, I found my mistake. It says: If your country has the system of registration you should submit your registration card, if your country does not have this system you need a reference. I am from Germany and Germany doesn't have a registration system. That's why I needed the reference then.
Sorry to cause inconvenience.
Petra
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:56 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Good luck to you both, before you know it you'll be here and all of this will seem a distant memory!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Musicalfever4, that's ok, that's what this site is about, it's great to be able to clarify misunderstandings and things we're uncertain about.

Jen, thank you, yes it's definitely hard work at the moment especially working and having to fit everything in. Hopefully everything will come together in the end!! I have the Cambridge Examinations Top Tips Guide for the IELTS but it only has one sample test but lots of tips on how to take the test. I might try the one you recommended, does he have a general guide as well? The listening part is the one that seems tricky. I wonder how many points you need to score to get a 7.0?? Any ideas anyone?

Last edited by beachlady; Jan 24th 2011 at 5:13 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:22 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by beachlady
Musicalfever4, that's ok, that's what this site is about, it's great to be able to clarify misunderstandings and things we're uncertain about.

Jen, thank you, yes it's definitely hard work at the moment especially working and having to fit everything in. Hopefully everything will come together in the end!! I have the Cambridge Examinations Top Tips Guide for the IELTS but it only has one sample test but lots of tips on how to take the test. I might try the one you recommended, does he have a general guide as well? The listening part is the one that seems tricky. I wonder how many points you need to score to get a 7.0?? Any ideas anyone?
Phone up one of the assessment centres and they'll tell u, I can't remember now but is very high! Tell me about the amount of work involved, I taught full-time and did paid police work part-time at the weekends, MENTAL! To top that off I did two lots of paperwork, my initial 175 then my partners ENS 120 which I joined him on, cancelling my 175!!! (IELTS book was G and A mixed I think, as I'm almost sure only the reading and writing differ, the Sp and L are the same on both exams?!)