Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Advice for my teacher friend!

Advice for my teacher friend!

Old Aug 20th 2010, 11:25 pm
Trust me.... I'm a nurse.

Nurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really niceNurse-Tom is just really nice
Question Advice for my teacher friend!

Hi folks,
Need some guidance for a friend of mine. She has a degree in Art and design and is currently working towards completing her PGCE so that she can work as a teacher (I'm a nurse so apologies if this sounds a bit vague) Anyway, she is interested in migrating to Aus and working as a teacher and as teaching is on the SOL she decided to make some enquiries but was given the following feedback:

"It seems, that as a teacher, I can only emigrate to the Northern Territory on a permenant visa or possibly WA (excluding Perth) for a 2 year 475 visa, where you apply after 2 years for permanent residency".

eeeerrrrrmmm, does that sound right to anyone who has already been through this process. Does it depend on which subject you are qualified to teach, or is this just duff info?

Thanks in advance, Tom.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for my teacher friend!

Is the PGCE a Primary or Secondary teacher?
As Primary is very limited.

Gems
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

musicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nice

Secondary school teachers are on the new SOL, so if she can get enough points she can apply for a 175, if she is a primary school teacher its different as primary school teachers are not on the new SOL anymore and she would need sponsorship. But those SMP lists are not ready yet, but I could imagine that NT will go on sponsoring primary school teachers, WA I don't know - would be great news for one of my friends who is a primary school teacher and who wants to move to WA.
Regards Petra
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

upthevilla is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a sponsored primary teacher in country WA since January. The current situation in WA is that the sponsorship programme is closed for now. They tell us they will be short of teachers in 2012 and will be sponsoring again then. There might be a lot of competition for places now that Primary is off the SOL. Your friend has time to get a bit of UK experience under their belt first and watch for WA to advertise again (if they do). Bear in mind any primary jobs in Aus are likely to be in country areas chosen by the dept for Ed, not by you - it is very different in country WA, but we are happy overall with the move we made!