457 wa rural housing

Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

leeh36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 wa rural housing

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and have spent days surfing now looking for info.
I'm hoping to get to WA on a 457 teaching secondary maths. I have read in some posts that wa will provide housing in some areas but can not find any info on this.
My largest worry is that I will have 3 children in tow and they would not be amused if we ended up in the back of beyond. Is there any choice of area for a 457 teacher in WA? And how would I know if any particular areas would be more suitable than others?
My immediate thoughts have been to try to settle in areas to the south of Perth as there seems to be less distance between towns but i'm not sure if this would help.
Any info would be great as we are totally unsure if a 457 to WA would suit us or not?

Lee and family
Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 wa rural housing

Originally Posted by leeh36
Hello,
I'm new to this forum and have spent days surfing now looking for info.
I'm hoping to get to WA on a 457 teaching secondary maths. I have read in some posts that wa will provide housing in some areas but can not find any info on this.
My largest worry is that I will have 3 children in tow and they would not be amused if we ended up in the back of beyond. Is there any choice of area for a 457 teacher in WA? And how would I know if any particular areas would be more suitable than others?
My immediate thoughts have been to try to settle in areas to the south of Perth as there seems to be less distance between towns but i'm not sure if this would help.
Any info would be great as we are totally unsure if a 457 to WA would suit us or not?

Lee and family
Choice is to go or not to
You could end up in the back of beyond or even further out. They mainly require Teachers for remote places, that's why there's a demand . Won't know unless you give it a go.
Is very much the same in all of Aus you start in remote areas unless you teach a subject that is difficult to fill. Or you do supply for a few years and see what comes though that
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
they say you have to be prepared to move any place! Here is a list of places I know they have posted UK teachers.

Esperance, Manjimup, Kattaning, Northam,Geraldton, Carnarvon, Kalgoorlie Boulder, Karratha, Roebourne (this was single man).

You dont really choose the place you go too, however you can let them know what areas you are interested in and they say they will take note of this.

Housing is usually provided for overseas teachers on the scheme. Rent is subsidised eg we pay $400 per fornight, the rent is actually double this.
We are in new 4 bedroom,2bathroom detached house with garden.

I think if you are a family with kids they may be more likely to take notice of your preferences than a single person.

GEMS
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

PS,we did actually say a place we would not be prepared to go and they took note.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Gems,
Where were you placed and how are you getting on?
Lee
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:50 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lee,
this is who you need to email for the state sponsorship programme [email protected]. She is out of office until 27th February - I am waiting reply myself.

I am no expert, so read the following with a pinch of salt...
The rural option maybe a tough one, look at some of the places already mentioned and search (time consuming I know) through old threads on this. There are many issues and I have searched this forum, used google earth (checking location and dist from Perth), 'wiki'ed places, looked up transport links (can be very significant). I was initially very positive about this visa for the obvious reasons, money - guaranteed job, low rent (subsidised), furniture packs, white goods packs, more money for more rural.

However, some of the places may not be ideal for everyone. I think it was Port Hedland where house prices are unbelievable so other costs maybe high. We have three young children with one more on the way and I'm not sure that all these places will be suitable for us. When you look through WA eductation, they seem to be sponsoring, Esperance, Goldfields. Now, I don't know if the mean just that town (check the weather there) or the whole (very large!) area of Goldfields (interesting history). There seems to be a predominance of mining around and these will of course shape the towns in some way. Flights seemed expensive when I looked them up from Kalgoorlie if I remember correctly. Big family means big travel cost.

As I said, I no little and I am sat 10,000 miles away in UK with broadband but narrow actual knowledge.

All the best, we will not be making a decision for six months or so but will be snooping on here plenty. Esp as the Mods are very nice and only a little bit of negativity usually on the same issues...

What did the zero say to eight?
Nice belt!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

I agree not all towns are ideal.

You MUST research all areas on offer.

However you do get free flights once per year for all the family to Perth. Or fuel if you want to drive.

For us the scheme works, but it doesnt suit everyone.

GEMS
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info.

Any idea how I find out all the areas that there is a possibility of being sent to?

Lee
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

You get sent a disc from WA when you register interest in the scheme, this basically shows you all the areas.

However it covers everything from Esperance to Port Hedland.

But they do not give any jobs in Perth or close eg unlikely to get Bunbury.

Gems
Old Feb 21st 2008, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

nudefrogtrev is an unknown quantity at this point

I am currently looking into this type of VISA and was wondering if anybody knows how long it takes for the whole process? Is it longer of shorter than if someone applied for a skilled migrants visa?

Thanks for your help

Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

For us it was very quick. 457 visa usually takes a matter of a few weeks.

From ringing up enquiring about the scheme to arriving in Perth was about 8 weeks.

Gems
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Do they offer LAFHA with this scheme?
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 8:43 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

I had a reply from Department of Education and Training - WA, no information on where they will place other than non-metro etc. I have emailed back asking for more info on current placements.

They do subsidise rent and I think they do 'packages' for white goods (air con)etc the more remote the more you get (maybe in more ways than one).

I guess you lose out on child benefits and medicare though.

Cooler
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

thanks, would be interested to know if they provide you with current info on possible placements
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

I have sent off my notification of interest but did not receive any information on rural areas.
Does rural mean all areas outside of Perth metro?
Are there any large rural areas which would have cinema, shopping malls etc...

Lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.