3 year degree

Old Aug 25th 2007, 1:29 am
Just Joined

Lucky Sunshine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3 year degree

Hello, can anyone tell me does any of the 1st Sept changes affect the rule of four year degree to teach in australia....stuck in a rut at moment, currently principla of scholl in uk with 18yrs experience and want to move to oz with husband and kids.....any advice really appreciated...... Husband's emplyment not on MODL.....
Old Aug 25th 2007, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

makido is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 3 year degree

Originally Posted by Lucky Sunshine
Hello, can anyone tell me does any of the 1st Sept changes affect the rule of four year degree to teach in australia....stuck in a rut at moment, currently principla of scholl in uk with 18yrs experience and want to move to oz with husband and kids.....any advice really appreciated...... Husband's emplyment not on MODL.....
Hello, Lucky Sunshine,

I am afraid I can't be of any luck officially, but I once read someone's post on this site that his/her three-year teaching degree (from UK) was recognised by NOOSR (now it does Teaching Australia as you probably know). It was the first case that I heard of that someone didn't need a four-year degree. I think this person had to struggle hard to prove that his/her three-year course was -in terms of subjects taught- comparable to four-year degree in Australia and I think this person called one of his/her mentors/university teachers to talk to people from NOOSR. They finally convinced them that these degrees and curricula were comparable.
I will try to find this post (I am almost 100% sure I had seen it on this site) and let you know.
I know this isn't of much help, but you might try to talk to people from Teaching Australia or email them and ask the same question. It could help. I also had a few questions and they answered immediately.
makido
Old Aug 25th 2007, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Lucky Sunshine is an unknown quantity at this point

Makido

Thanks for your reply...would appreciate if you can find the post, would be really useful...its really frustrating at the moment as this is such a blocker and cannot seem to find a way around it at moment...they do say nothing is impoosible...

Have a good day
Old Aug 25th 2007, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

I have just found something:

Have a look at the bottom of the page, there are some e-mails between Simon and Kate and Jennifer Forest from Teaching Australia
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hing+australia

If this link doesn't work, please let me know.

Cheers,
makido
Old Aug 25th 2007, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

This link isn't actually what I mentioned before, but maybe it could help. I will keep trying to find what I had mentioned earlier.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucky Sunshine
Many have tried & failed by going down this route.
Also IF successful you'll probably find once you're out in Aus, you'll have to work your way back up, firstly rural supply teaching then in a few years may get a job! Are you really sure you're ready for that? They don't make it easy for none Aussie trained teachers and it can be a right battle to get a full time post somewhere you'd actually want to live!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Many have tried & failed by going down this route.
Also IF successful you'll probably find once you're out in Aus, you'll have to work your way back up, firstly rural supply teaching then in a few years may get a job! Are you really sure you're ready for that? They don't make it easy for none Aussie trained teachers and it can be a right battle to get a full time post somewhere you'd actually want to live!
It's no different for Australian teachers. Many have to wait years for a permanent post and then it's not necessarily where they want. Don't imagine that you are being hard done to.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 2:13 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

I completely agree with Australia_Bound, most people try and fail to get a three year qualification recognised - although if you look hard enough you might find an exception.

Don't forget, getting the skills qualification for the visa is only the first challenge. To work in any state in Australia you must register with the College of Teaching in that state. They ALL require a 4 year qualification.

Good luck!!