Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Zimmerman Verdict

Zimmerman Verdict

Old Jul 22nd 2013, 3:01 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Zimmerman Verdict

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I'm not fudging anything. Just pointing out selective outrage. I've been guilty of it myself (pun not intended).
That's outrageous!
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 3:06 pm
Gamers Rise Up

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked View Post
He's dead because Zimmerman performed 'some sort of action', when he was advised not to. Martin is now dead-as a result.
This isn't in dispute.

Martin at some point may have made a choice that (and I'm being careful about the wording here) increased the odds of Zimmerman taking that action. That is what I am talking about, I won't presume to speak for the others. I won't go so far to call it stupidity but there could well have been a poor decision made on his part as well. It doesn't make it his fault, it doesn't justify Zimmerman's action but if I try to see it through the eyes of the jury then it helps me understand why they might have come to the decision they did.

Zimmerman acted like an idiot but he knew the law. Logically, rationally, if I think about it, Martin had to have engaged him in some way (however minor) and then Zimmerman responded. Very likely he overreacted but that was due to the laws that empowered him to do so.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 3:44 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It appears that a number of posters here have the working assumption that Zimmerman is a bloodthirsty vigilante who set out to hunt down and kill Martin come what may!. There is absolutely zero basis for such an assumption, and moreover, as a cop wannabe, Zimmerman must have known that even a cop is scrutinized after any shooting, his gun taken away, and he's given a desk job pending review of whatever the incident was. I am comfortable that Zimmerman, however foolishly he acted, did not set out, even as he left his car, to kill/shoot Martin.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 22nd 2013 at 3:57 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
It appears that a number of posters here have the working assumption that Zimmerman is a bloodthirsty vigilante who set outto hunt down and kill Martin come what may!. There is absolutely zero basis for such an assumption, and moreover, as a cop wannabe,Zimmerman must have known that even a cop is scrutinized after any shooting, his gun taken away, and he's given a desk job pending review of whatever the incident was. I am comfortable that Zimmerman, however foolishly he acted, did not set out, even as he left his car, to kill/shoot Martin.
I think Zimmerman would have had second thoughts and stayed away from the kid if he'd known Martin was mixing his home made drug with his "innocent" skittles & fruit juice, better known as Lean to the druggies.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 3:58 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid View Post
We only have Zimmerman's word for what happened. Whether anyone believes him isn't relevant, because there were absolutely no witnesses to say that it didn't happen the way George Zimmerman said it did.Did you know that Zimmerman actually underwent a lie detector test about the events?

Zimmerman getting out of the car on it's own, does not a confrontation make... Assuming he's telling the truth. The confrontation came at the point where Trayvon came up to him and allegedly said "what's your problem homie"
Zimmerman could have retreated to his car at that point (the wisest move), and waited for the police, and in turn Trayvon Martin could have not "jumped out of the bushes" and said those words, and allegedly (again, acccording to Zimmerman) then punched him.
Both were choices that could have saved the situation escalating into an unnecessary death of a young guy that was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I don't even get into an exchange of words over an incident where someone cuts me off in traffic here now, because honestly that's how people get killed.
If you assume everyone is carrying a gun you'll probably stand a better chance of staying alive, in the land of the free and home of the gun wieiding brave
I think we've all pretty much conceded that we understand and accept the jury's verdict. So, now the discussion is about how we feel and what we think. Some people here think that Martin caused his own death, and have gone as far as to say why they think that, and I am responding to those "thoughts" with some of my own.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 3:58 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruth16 View Post
I think Zimmerman would have had second thoughts and stayed away from the kid if he'd known Martin was mixing his home made drug with his "innocent" skittles & fruit juice, better known as Lean to the druggies.
You're a silly little person.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 4:10 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruth16 View Post
Seriously? You are a muppet.

You're just making stuff up.

Go away, take a couple of aspirin, your head must really hurt after that little gem.

Perhaps while the adults are talking you can busy yourself on working on another little pathetic conspiracy theory.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 4:14 pm
Gamers Rise Up

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
I think we've all pretty much conceded that we understand and accept the jury's verdict. So, now the discussion is about how we feel and what we think. Some people here think that Martin caused his own death, and have gone as far as to say why they think that, and I am responding to those "thoughts" with some of my own.
I don't think he caused his own death. I just think that if he did, as alleged, engage with Zimmerman in some way, shape or form, he didn't do himself any favours either.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 4:23 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I don't think he caused his own death. I just think that if he did, as alleged, engage with Zimmerman in some way, shape or form, he didn't do himself any favours either.
I think when 2 men are in a stand off - it's very hard to be the person who backs down.

Zimmerman would be thinking that he was facing a little crook who was up to no good.
Martin would be looking at a jumped up wannabe cop with no business in his business.

Both would be sure they were right.

Put it this way, if that had been me, would I have swung for the other one? no, but then I'm not a testosterone fueled young man - which both of them were.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 4:27 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b View Post
I think when 2 men are in a stand off - it's very hard to be the person who backs down.

Zimmerman would be thinking that he was facing a little crook who was up to no good.
Martin would be looking at a jumped up wannabe cop with no business in his business.

Put it this way, if that had been me, would I have swung for the other one? no, but then I'm not a testosterone fueled young man - which both of them were.
Actually, if I had been followed for long enough, by an unknown person in a car and then tracked down by that person on foot and confronted, I probably would have taken a swing if I felt threatened. Maybe not the right thing to do, but there ya go.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 4:30 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
My discussion is still about the verdict, and the facts, because I prefer to stick to that rather than enter into a discussion about racial issues which aren't provable.
You're the ones taking it off topic.

I don't think anyone actually said that he caused his own death did they, merely that the choices that were made by both sides led to Martin dying?
I said that they both had the choice to retreat rather than have a confrontation. It doesn't mean that I think that Martin literally caused his own death.

The facts (according to Zimmerman), were that Martin confronted him, punched him, and was banging his head on the ground and after calling for help and nobody coming, Zimmerman took out his gun and shot him. The jury didn't have to believe that to acquit him did they, they just had to decide there if there was a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman was not acting in self defence when he shot Martin, and they decided he was. End of.

Weirdly, there are those on here that seem to want to believe that Zimmerman got away with murder, and that race played a part on the way the verdict of that self defence case was decided by the jury, which to me makes no sense at all.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Actually, if I had been followed for long enough, by an unknown person in a car and then tracked down by that person on foot and confronted, I probably would have taken a swing if I felt threatened. Maybe not the right thing to do, but there ya go.
No you wouldn't, well... not unless they tried to steal your doughnuts.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 4:34 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid View Post
No you wouldn't, well... not unless they tried to steal your doughnuts.
Well I certainly wouldn't be explaining myself to a (lol)neighborhood watch guy.
Also, you can't mess with a mans (dough)nuts and expect to get away with it.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Trixie_b View Post

Good point.
That's the time common sense comes into play. Neither of them showed any, if you believe Zimmerman's account. That doesn't make him guilty of murder though.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 4:35 pm
Are we there yet?

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
I think that many men would.

Thank you for being honest about it.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.