Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

WTF rest of the world.

WTF rest of the world.

Old Jun 9th 2018, 2:29 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF rest of the world.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
We're not holding any more dumbarsed referendums. The last one cost over $120 million and caused huge grief and hurt and the result was exactly what everyone said it would be before the money was wasted.
Amen to that.
Old Jun 9th 2018, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

We're not holding any more dumbarsed referendums. The last one cost over $120 million and caused huge grief and hurt and the result was exactly what everyone said it would be before the money was wasted.
The last referendum we had cost $26 million to decide on whether to change our flag to help the rest of the world to distinguish us from our Aussie neighbours. Thankfully people were not in favour of the hand-made designs, that consisted mainly of alternate arrangements of the stars, kiwis, lasers, sheep, more kiwis, and more sheep.
Old Jun 10th 2018, 10:14 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles View Post
The last referendum we had cost $26 million to decide on whether to change our flag to help the rest of the world to distinguish us from our Aussie neighbours. Thankfully people were not in favour of the hand-made designs, that consisted mainly of alternate arrangements of the stars, kiwis, lasers, sheep, more kiwis, and more sheep.
The Kiwi government should have felt very sheepish after that.

Old Jun 10th 2018, 12:11 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

You were fleeced.
Old Jun 10th 2018, 1:44 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
You were fleeced.
Baaaaad.
Old Jun 11th 2018, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the silver fern design was striking, original, and elegant. To me, a shame it didn’t pass. I always wondered why, unlike Canada, AUS and NZ are keen on keeping the Union Jack component.

Last edited by Richard8655; Jun 11th 2018 at 2:01 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2018, 1:57 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
The Kiwi government should have felt very sheepish after that.

I should think they're on the lamb now, after that.
Old Jun 11th 2018, 2:07 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655 View Post

I thought the silver fern design was striking, original, and elegant. To me, a shame it didn’t pass. I always wondered why, unlike Canada, AUS and NZ are keen on keeping the Union Jack component.
Because generally speaking no one is that fussed and probably think that as long as Queen Elizabeth II (or King Charles/William/George etc) is our Head of State we'll keep the flag as is. If we ever become a Republic, it'll get changed.
Old Jun 11th 2018, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Because generally speaking no one is that fussed and probably think that as long as Queen Elizabeth II (or King Charles/William/George etc) is our Head of State we'll keep the flag as is. If we ever become a Republic, it'll get changed.
I suppose. Not to say you’re like Canada, but they kept their commonwealth identity (queen also head of state) while also creating a flag showing their independent identity. I’m guessing the long geographic distance makes for not wanting to forget the links.
Old Jun 11th 2018, 2:35 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Changing the Canadian flag wasn't easy. I was only 9 but I remember the process, and the losing entries. The Red Ensign we were using before was only on loan from the Royal Navy iirc so there was a reason to adopt a new one.

Last edited by caretaker; Jun 11th 2018 at 2:37 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2018, 3:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose. Not to say you’re like Canada, but they kept their commonwealth identity (queen also head of state) while also creating a flag showing their independent identity. I’m guessing the long geographic distance makes for not wanting to forget the links.
Don't understand the distance thing. Every now and then there's talk of a new flag and there have been some good designs but there's not enough interest. It's the flag, it works. The republicans grumble but they don't care enough to push it.
Old Jun 11th 2018, 10:17 pm
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Except you see it all the time here at All Blacks games. So it has a strong link to sport and particularly the AB's , many people didn't like it for that reason. I don't like the black background either. The Kiwis have a thing about black, living here is like being at a funeral, permanently .
Old Jun 11th 2018, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix View Post
Except you see it all the time here at All Blacks games. So it has a strong link to sport and particularly the AB's , many people didn't like it for that reason. I don't like the black background either. The Kiwis have a thing about black, living here is like being at a funeral, permanently .
Apparently there was a version of the fern flag that from a distance looked like a notorious flag from the Middle East. I wasn’t crazy about black as a background either. But it just seems the current is a bit of a holdout from the colonial days (as is AUS as well).

Last edited by Richard8655; Jun 11th 2018 at 10:33 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2018, 10:31 pm
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Apparenly there was a version of the fern flag that from a distance looked like a notorious flag from the Middle East. I wasn’t crazy about black as a background either.
The laser-eyed kiwi was the best of a bad bunch
Old Jun 11th 2018, 11:08 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I should think they're on the lamb now, after that.
see you outside

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.