Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

WTF rest of the world.

WTF rest of the world.

Old Aug 20th 2018, 1:13 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF rest of the world.

A kindergarten in Indonesia has been criticised for dressing girls up in black, Isis-style costumes and replica rifles for an independence day parade, with organisers forced to apologise for the embarrassing gaffe.

Speaking at a media conference following uproar over the event, Probolinggo military commander, Lieutenant Colonel Kav Depri Rio Saransi said the parade was purely to educate the students about the “struggle of Islam” but was not intended to promote religious radicalism.

“There is not the slightest bit of radicalism. I emphasise that purely there is no such thing as an element of intentionally showing the existence of radical activities,” he said, before offering a further apology.

And finally:

“Ordering children to wear black veiled costumes and carry replica weapons gives a poor perception,” he said, “Treatment like that could damage children’s ideas.”

Yeah, well that and religion.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e-in-indonesia
Old Aug 20th 2018, 1:43 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
A kindergarten in Indonesia has been criticised for dressing girls up in black, Isis-style costumes and replica rifles for an independence day parade, with organisers forced to apologise for the embarrassing gaffe.

Speaking at a media conference following uproar over the event, Probolinggo military commander, Lieutenant Colonel Kav Depri Rio Saransi said the parade was purely to educate the students about the “struggle of Islam” but was not intended to promote religious radicalism.

“There is not the slightest bit of radicalism. I emphasise that purely there is no such thing as an element of intentionally showing the existence of radical activities,” he said, before offering a further apology.

And finally:

“Ordering children to wear black veiled costumes and carry replica weapons gives a poor perception,” he said, “Treatment like that could damage children’s ideas.”

Old Aug 20th 2018, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post

And finally:
Has anyone asked Mr. B. Johnson (UK Statesman & future Prime Minister) for a relevant comment regarding the dress.... and even one on the replica rifles?
I feel sure that his sensitive and measured opinions would be well taken.....
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 7:13 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

If there were any doubt at all that Anish Kapoor’s work Descent into Limbo is a big hole with a 2.5-metre drop, and not a black circle painted on the floor, then it has been settled.

An unnamed Italian man has discovered to his cost that the work is definitely a hole after apparently falling in it.
Man falls into art installation of 8ft hole painted black
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 2:24 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

We've always known that art is dangerous. That's why dictators persecute artists.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 2:37 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
We've always known that art is dangerous. That's why dictators persecute artists.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 9:56 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

And now a word about meth:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/man-ch...htub-1.4097505
Old Sep 18th 2018, 1:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
You can be charged with mischief in Canada?
Old Dec 9th 2018, 1:54 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I have no words....(except to highlight that the linked article has a photo of an effigy of a young man's body)

The travel company TUI has refunded a couple for their holiday after hotel staff at a Jamaican resort left an effigy of their dead son in their room as a misguided tribute
His godmother, Karen Baker, who was on holiday with the couple, had asked staff at the five-star Royalton Resort to surprise them with balloons and cake in their bedroom to mark the day
The hotel workers instead created an effigy of Alex by stuffing the couple’s clothes with towels and arranging it on the bed. The figure had tears on its face and a can of lager in its hand and was positioned next to petals spelling out: “We miss you Alex.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...uples-dead-son
Old Dec 9th 2018, 3:10 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I have no words....
I read that report. Perhaps it was because I skimmed it but I had an impression they go away every year at the same time and maybe the staff knew what it was all about - or how would they know, having done more than the requested balloons?

The whole thing struck me as being a bit odd.

Mind you, posting memoriam notices years later strikes me as being odd, but each to their own.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 4:09 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I read that report. Perhaps it was because I skimmed it but I had an impression they go away every year at the same time and maybe the staff knew what it was all about - or how would they know, having done more than the requested balloons?

The whole thing struck me as being a bit odd.

Mind you, posting memoriam notices years later strikes me as being odd, but each to their own.
There's no right or wrong way to grieve, whatever gets you through is my motto.

The godmother of the young man who died was travelling with his parents, she asked the hotel to put some birthday balloons and a birthday cake in the parents' room. They apparently travel somewhere every year to mark their son's birthday.

None of that strikes me as odd, but the actions of the hotel staff do! Extremely, very, overwhelmingly odd. I know the travel company said they'd been in touch with the hotel and it's their belief that no offence was meant but really - who anywhere in the world would think that what they did was a nice, kind thing to do? It's hard to believe that it wasn't done deliberately to cause offence and upset, although why is anyone's guess.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 1:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The godmother of the young man who died was travelling with his parents, she asked the hotel to put some birthday balloons and a birthday cake in the parents' room. They apparently travel somewhere every year to mark their son's birthday.

None of that strikes me as odd, but the actions of the hotel staff do! Extremely, very, overwhelmingly odd. I know the travel company said they'd been in touch with the hotel and it's their belief that no offence was meant but really - who anywhere in the world would think that what they did was a nice, kind thing to do? It's hard to believe that it wasn't done deliberately to cause offence and upset, although why is anyone's guess.
This is the part I find especially odd. It's definitely a strange thing for the staff to do. But they must have had some information about the son. A simple request for balloons and cake would have resulted in balloons and cake.

So maybe the godmother gave more information than was necessary or the staff already knew - and that's what made me wonder about previous visits.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 1:56 pm
Concierge

This is the part I find especially odd. It's definitely a strange thing for the staff to do. But they must have had some information about the son. A simple request for balloons and cake would have resulted in balloons and cake.

So maybe the godmother gave more information than was necessary or the staff already knew - and that's what made me wonder about previous visits.
The godmother probably told the staff the full story, plus it would be easy enough for staff to Google the incident if they wanted more details - but for the life of me I can't think why they would! What they did is nothing short of horrific in my opinion, and I'll never believe that there wasn't some malice or ulterior motive involved.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 3:35 pm
Oscar nominated

The godmother probably told the staff the full story, plus it would be easy enough for staff to Google the incident if they wanted more details - but for the life of me I can't think why they would!
In a nutshell.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 3:39 pm
Concierge

In a nutshell.
You and I are the only weird ones on BE, commenting about this It just struck me as such a horrifically wrong thing to do!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.