Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

WTF Murders/Killings in the US

WTF Murders/Killings in the US

Old Dec 2nd 2019, 1:12 am
Jigsaw

Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF Murders/Killings in the US

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
I know somebody who died today, in Colorado.

Did not make Reuters etc, and a quick calculation suggests that most of the 60,000? who die in Colorado every year will not make the national news either.
Thoughts and prayers, Boiler.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 1:13 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
Over production. When hillary was supposed to win and take everyone's guns they all produced a ton of guns, then Trump won.
Number one reason: Glock.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 5:26 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, the article that I posted above demonstrated quantitatively that there's no statistical correlation whatsoever between rates of gun ownership and rates of gun homicide in any country or any locality. Given that the vast majority of the solutions proposed in this thread center around gun control / gun bans, this study seems extremely relevant to this discussion.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
BTW, the article that I posted above demonstrated quantitatively that there's no statistical correlation whatsoever between rates of gun ownership and rates of gun homicide in any country or any locality. Given that the vast majority of the solutions proposed in this thread center around gun control / gun bans, this study seems extremely relevant to this discussion.
Ummm.... do you also have any interesting articles that prove that there is no statistical correlation between learning to drive and the number of traffic accidents? Or between fatalities when skydiving with or without a parachute? Regardless of arguments on the head of a pin, it seems fairly clear that the number of guns in circulation will impact the rate of "gun homicide", as it's a bit difficult to kill using something that doesn't exist - maybe a check on the relative number of "gun homicides" in the UK and Ireland would prove informative. Actually, due to the greater facility and the likelihood of multiple victims, access to firearms seems likely to increase the overall homicide rate......

Why is it that people seem happy to accept that they need a passport to travel abroad, or need a license to drive, but will stand on their heads to argue why they should retain an unfettered right to purchase multiple lethal weapons without check or hindrance? I truly don't understand the issue.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

One only has to see how the number of traffic deaths has increase with vehicle ownership and of course Aviation as well, the miles flown has massively increased.

I can only imagine how knife sales must have increased in the UK since I left. The place must be awash.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 9:45 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Ummm.... do you also have any interesting articles that prove that there is no statistical correlation between learning to drive and the number of traffic accidents? Or between fatalities when skydiving with or without a parachute? Regardless of arguments on the head of a pin, it seems fairly clear that the number of guns in circulation will impact the rate of "gun homicide", as it's a bit difficult to kill using something that doesn't exist - maybe a check on the relative number of "gun homicides" in the UK and Ireland would prove informative. Actually, due to the greater facility and the likelihood of multiple victims, access to firearms seems likely to increase the overall homicide rate......
Yeah. "Seems". "Fairly clear". "Likely". I'm going to assume you didn't read the article. The article goes to great lengths to prove, using widely available and well vetted information, what I said: there is zero, zip, nada statistical correlation between rate of gun ownership and rate of gun homicide. You can chose not to believe this, that doesn't make it untrue.

Why is it that people seem happy to accept that they need a passport to travel abroad, or need a license to drive, but will stand on their heads to argue why they should retain an unfettered right to purchase multiple lethal weapons without check or hindrance? I truly don't understand the issue.
Your logical fallacy is personal incredulity:
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/personal-incredulity
Old Dec 5th 2019, 10:43 pm
Jigsaw

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

One only has to see how the number of traffic deaths has increase with vehicle ownership and of course Aviation as well, the miles flown has massively increased.
But the deaths per mile flown have decreased as planes became safer, and fewer mass deaths from terrorism events involving aircraft.

I can only imagine how knife sales must have increased in the UK since I left. The place must be awash.
There doesn't need to be an increase in knife sales for there to be an increase in knife crime, they're readily available in every home in the UK. I have over thirty knives of varying types in my kitchen, any one of which can seriously injure or kill if used in certain ways, even the butter knives.

If guns weren't as readily available in the US, there'd be fewer suicide by gun, and I suspect fewer suicides as a whole. Despite the even easier availability of knives than guns in US homes, the latter is still one of the most popular tools for suicide, either by self or by suicide-by-cop.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, right - I can hardly walk down the street for fear of being stabbed - not. Although the reported number of knife-related crimes in the UK has indeed increased over recent years, the majority are within a certain sector of society and the number of fatalities pales into absolute insignificance when compared to the USA, even allowing for differences in population, etc. However, steps have been taken to limit access to knives and to educate people against carrying them - so at least the problem is recognised.... how's that going stateside?
Old Dec 5th 2019, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Yeah. "Seems". "Fairly clear". "Likely". I'm going to assume you didn't read the article. The article goes to great lengths to prove, using widely available and well vetted information, what I said: there is zero, zip, nada statistical correlation between rate of gun ownership and rate of gun homicide. You can chose not to believe this, that doesn't make it untrue.

Your logical fallacy is personal incredulity:
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/personal-incredulity
Yes smart - you do know what they say about assuming, don't you ?
As you are so kind as to point me to a website, let me point you to another - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misuse_of_statistics. The rule of thumb is that when something seems too good to be true, it usually is.....so believing that uncontrolled access to firearms has no impact on the number of killings would be laughable, if it wasn't so tragic. Personally, I have less interest in disproving your stats than you have in proposing them, because I have nothing to defend, so post away, misinformation is nothing new.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 11:08 pm
Jigsaw

Yeah, right - I can hardly walk down the street for fear of being stabbed - not. Although the reported number of knife-related crimes in the UK has indeed increased over recent years, the majority are within a certain sector of society and the number of fatalities pales into absolute insignificance when compared to the USA, even allowing for differences in population, etc. However, steps have been taken to limit access to knives and to educate people against carrying them - so at least the problem is recognised.... how's that going stateside?
I think they need more 'thoughts and prayers'......
Old Dec 5th 2019, 11:31 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Is that not the same case in the US wrt shootings?
Old Dec 5th 2019, 11:58 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Suicide is a big issue with gun ownership, if it's the article I think it is, it acknowledges the correlation between risk of death from suicide and gun ownership. Suicide is a bigger gun issue than murder.
Old Dec 6th 2019, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Yes smart - you do know what they say about assuming, don't you ?
As you are so kind as to point me to a website, let me point you to another - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misuse_of_statistics. The rule of thumb is that when something seems too good to be true, it usually is.....so believing that uncontrolled access to firearms has no impact on the number of killings would be laughable, if it wasn't so tragic. Personally, I have less interest in disproving your stats than you have in proposing them, because I have nothing to defend, so post away, misinformation is nothing new.
Where is there uncontrolled access to firearms?
Old Dec 6th 2019, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like miami cops shot some robbers, a hostage, and a bystander, on live tv today not far from me: https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen
Old Dec 6th 2019, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

How do you limit access to knives?. Small, folding, easy to conceal. You could probably buy a box cutter at a hardware store. That would do some nasty damage. Educating people against carrying them sounds like a non runner. The kid living in a rough council block of flats. "I have to carry one because there are a bunch of kids living in the next block of flats threatening to do me in. If I got sliced up it would take the coppers and an ambulance half an hour to get here"

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.